Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have some african cichlids of different types in my 55 gallon. I recently just changed over to sand and stacked rock. I was curious if I could feed my cichlids anything other than what I'm already doing. Not to overfeed or anything. Just maybe a treat once in a while. Currently they are eating Omega 1 sinking pellets and shrimp pellets for my clown loaches. I also do omega 1 veggie flakes sometimes. And occasionaly they get frozen blood worm. I was wondering is there anything else, and if so how often can they have it?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Depending on what type of cichlids you keep, the answers will vary. I know that bloodworms can be a bad treat seeing that they have such a high protein content, and are know to be a cause of Bloat in a lot of fish.

·
Registered
181 Posts
+1 on the bloodworm comment, lost 2 fish because of this "treat" before I smartened up. Haven't lost a fish since I stopped feeding them bloodworms. :oops:
That being said some species handle them better than others but I believe even those that do should only be fed them infrequently.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any other suggestions of what I can feed? I heard a couple people say zuccini and I dropped a piece in there and they all act terrified of it. :(

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sometimes it takes a bit for them to take to a new food, especially if they are well fed. Romaine lettuce is supposed to be good for them but I couldn't get mine to eat it. I've had luck with frozen peas. I microwave them for a bit, just enough to thaw them and then take the skin off. They do a good job of cleaning the fishes digestive system out!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Frozen peas, boil for 20 seconds, peal, mince for small fish, half a pea for the larger ones.

If you accidently drop the husk in they have a hard time eating it, but carry it around.

·
Registered
843 Posts
If you attach the veggies with a veggie clip (to the wall), they might not get as scared. I've done algae pieces with that (dried). Make sure to shell the peas if you do them. Lettuce sometimes too.

They might just prefer sinking pellets. Mine seem to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts