Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my fiance have just started our community african cichlid tank, and we have 2 fish that look exactly alike just different sizes, and we have no clue what they are. we have been researching for over a week and a half now and we cant find anything that looks similar. so someone please help us! :) they are both black/gray/green, its weird the way their colors are. they have vertical stripes and appear to be turning a shade of blue. i have pics but i cant upload them yet, i will in a few minutes we just need help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
theyre more of a greyish black than yellow though..and now they have a hint of blue showing up around their gilplates and around their fins

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
chelsamarie said:
theyre more of a greyish black than yellow though..and now they have a hint of blue showing up around their gilplates and around their fins
Their colour changes as they mature. That is normal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well on the pics of the fish u suggested all the yellow is a dark black on our fish, would that turn completely yellow?

·
Registered
485 Posts
It's hard to tell from that pic, but it sorta looks like a (juvie) male met. chailosi . Is the face blue? Here's what mine looked like when I just introduced them & then the next day - http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... highlight=
I could be wrong - I'm not an expert, :) it just reminded me of my chailosi. Do you have any other pics?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Agree it looks like one of the elongate Pseudotropheus guys. Hey no way should Pseudotropheus elongatus Chailosi have been moved to Metriaclima. Think thats one of Ads more strange aborations based on feeding rather than general morphology.
Sure it needs moving out of Pseudotropheus as do most Pseudotropheus but into Metriaclima give me a brake. It needs a new genus and quick. :thumb:
On this guy please can we have more photos. I kind of suspect a couple of fish but the darkness of your guys is kind of strange for those.

All the best James

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are some pics, they arent the best because its hard to get a pic of a specific fish in a community tank. both fish are pictured.

and also, what is a good p.h. to keep the tank at? and does anyone know if the ice blue zebras have to have salt in with them? the guy at petsmart said they did, but i cant find anything on the internet to support that..

·
Registered
551 Posts
Something from the enlongatus complex, Chailosi is as good of a guess as any.

Agree with Fogelhund, wait until they get bigger for a better shot at an ID.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
To answer your questions.
All Mbuna and Malawi cichlids.
Temperature: 73-81°F (stable though is best 76-78 fine)
pH: 7.5-9 (8.2 Is fine but stability prob more important).
Water Hardness: Hard (exact values not that important GH 8-20 KH 8-14 ish)

No need for Sodium chloride though some folk use it.
It can give short term protection from high nitrites (poor shop conditions) and some common shop diseases like white spot and various fungal diseases but think its prob bad to use all the time.

Still not sure on the ID yet. :oops: :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts