Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I bought those C.moorii and im supposed to have 5 of them... but those 2 mystery fish arent C.moorii... the 3 others really look like they are C.moorii... If someone know what they are please ?... but Im just thinking they are hybrids :( ....

mystery fish 1

mystery fish 2

and there is a c.moorii im pretty sure of that one

thanks!

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Look alot like C. moorii, juveniles have a few different color phases... but could possibly be C. moorii hybrids mixed with Placidochromis sp.

Do these fish change with mood?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes they do change, when they were young they had the 3 black spots on their sides appearing and gone the minute after.
Those 2 mystery fishes are the biggest of the crew now they are a good 3-3½inches long... the last picture is a C.moorii im sure of it cause of the mouth and his colors ans the fact that he gets startled very easily. He is smaller than the 2 others and really look more like a c.moorii. the mystery fish 1 look alot like a C.moorii but he is the biggest and doesn't have the c.moorii mouth, ill look for placidochromis sp. pictures and see what I can find!

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I see some Placidochromis traits in them, as well. I hate to throw the "H" word out!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup they do hav some Placidochromis trait... From what I saw in different pictures, especially on fish 2... that is anoying, I dont want the fish but dont want someone else to end up with that situation, and I especially dont want them to breed with the real C.moorii -_-

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
No expert on these but I would give em a bit more time before writing em off as hybrids.
I have seen pure C.moorii with that eye stripe when young.
I sure hope they turn out OK for you.
But then C.moorii will hybridise with electra and others so its kind of anyones guess from the photos so far.

All the best James

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
If I had stock that I intended to breed and I was not confident about their purity, then I would cull. That being said, I am not convinced yet. That eye stripe is not a big deal, so if it was me I would grow them out more.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, when I take picture they get startled I try not to take pictures of them because of that. That is a C. Moorii trait, I will grow them more and see what happen! thanks for all your time :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
WEll i can tell you for 100% Hap Moorii #1 characteristic is being skittish and sketchy and gett started very easily and flying/jumping around the tank.

I had to get rid of mine even after 5 months they still flipped out every time a approached the tank ever so slowly for feeding and they would get all my other fish all amped up and flying around bouncing into rocks etc...

They look like Blue Dolphins to me. a little thin, and coloration will change as they grow out, they def have a few color stages.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts