Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share some pics of my dominant male/female.

Male

Male and female

The female reminds me of one of these. :) Not cute, but adorable still.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Wow- what funny fish! Is the female always darker than the male? How are you keeping them (tank size, mates, broods, etc)?
:popcorn:

·
Registered
509 Posts
She's a real looker that one! :eek:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the female always darker than the male? How are you keeping them (tank size, mates, broods, etc)?
Most of the females I've had have been dark like that, but I did have one that was not. I've never had a dark male.

They're in a six footer they share with a n. pulcher colony. The male temporalis used to rule the roost before the pucher's colonized, but no more. I used a divider for a while to let the pulcher's grow out and pair up. I ended up with 1m/3f heading up the pulcher group. My male pulcher has outgrown the male temporalis by quite a bit, and he doesn't challenge any more. In fact, the temporalis just kind of hunker down on their side of the tank surrounded by pulcher fry and seem to be totally intimidated by it all, even though the adult pulcher's never venture over or give them a hard time. The temporalis used to give me dozens of fry, but have totally stopped breeding. I may move my pulcher colony and give the entire tank back to the temporalis. They are indeed a fun fish and more interesting than the pulcher's.

Back in his day.

He's seen here with a sub dominant male, while you can see his female in the background. They tolerated fry until they were adults.

Is she about to lay eggs, or is she always that bulging around the middle?
She's always bulging like that any more. I was hoping they'd spawn under the current situation, but seems like it's not going to happen. This was my attempt at keeping something with a 'brichardi type'. A success only in that both sides tolerate each other. But with no temporalis breeding, they're obviously not comfortable, so not really a total success. There are actually two temporalis living under the rocks coloinzed by the pulcher's. I think they've adopted them as pets or something, as they don't seem to mind them all that much.

Here's a video from a few months ago. I've since pulled the spare adult pulcher's that were hanging around the temporalis, and removed some rocks and gave them that entire half of the tank, but still no breeding.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Amazing fish, can't wait to try them!

Why do yours look so filled out and stocky? They look really healthy, but other pictures I see make them look a lot smaller. How big are yours compared to an adult male brevis?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've seen different shapes, sizes, colors and markings. Some are more slender. I've not seen another female in my groups like this one, but I didn't grow them out that long before I moved them on. The female is probably about as big as an adult male brevis, maybe a bit bigger. The male is larger.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.