Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Female is about 20 months old and the male about 1 year old.
males grow faster and they are more beautiful than females. bright body, extended fins, head hump and vibrant colors.
they can breed at about 3 inch long, when they are small they are usually more skittish than similar fish but get aggressive when become bigger and specially at breeding time.
IMO they are more vulnerable against internal parasites like hexamita compared to some other american cichlids.
sex them is not hard even at small size.
IMO a 55g is enough for one or for a pair for at least 1 year ( if they are small at first ) and 75g would be enough for big ones.

for now I have them in a 40g with two female parrots and a male severum, and they won't spawn because of the presence of other disturbing fish and small territory. female's belly is completely full of eggs but she's not laid eggs for 2-3 months. gonna get a big enough tank soon.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
SUPER!! :eek: :eek: GT's!! WOW :drooling: I hope my Gt turns out that nice. I was looking to get a pair but the one I have beat up every GT I tried to put in the tank with it. I think mine is a male but I'm not sure, just cause it's sooo mean. Plus it's growing fast too. Man I hope mine turns out looking as good as yours. Nice work :thumb: Sweet!!!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Good looking pair. I have a male GT myself but he is not that big yet (around 3-3 1/2 inches). I really hope that mine looks as good as yours does. Good luck with them.

PS. What are you going to do with the fry?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I hope your GTs turn out even better than mine! :wink:

What are you going to do with the fry?
they have spawned 3-4 times but they ( and other tank mates like pleco ) ate the eggs. the tank is small and over stocked so they can't keep the eggs. also this female likes to lay eggs on gravels or on the glass! so taking the eggs out is not easy :lol:
now I am raising my oscars babies and don't have time for GTs. in future I'll prepare them good conditions to spawn easily and I'll raise there fry and sell them out.

ps: don't tell anyone but that GT in the contest is mine :lol:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Gorgeous pair of GT's!
And you've got that stunning pair of oscars on top of that!? I'm jealous, lol. :wink:

BV

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you BV, that oscar pair is gift from the God :D

I thought you may be like to see some older pics of them, here is some pics for weeks ago:

and this is for 7 months ago when I got him for my female, he was small and pale! but hes got some nice colors and hump now. I'm really proud of him :dancing:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts