Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I want to share some of my Malawi hap photos.

I'll start with a young and not colored yet Buccochromis rhoadesii:

Next comes the magnificent Champsochromis spilorhynchus male:

A young and not yet colored Stigmatochromis pleurospilus:

Nicely colored male Dimidiochromis strigatus (unfortunately very hard for shooting):

And finally young and just starting to show some coloration male Tyranochromis nigriventer (on the last photo with one of the smaller ones):

I hope you will enjoy them as much as I do. :)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Excellent shots and Fish! I likey! :thumb:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Nice selection of Haps. I have an all male hap/peacock also. I have a Champsochromis spilorhynchus also but he/she is younger and I'm not sure what gender yet. Your Champ is beautiful. I also have a D. Kwinge that's fully colored, along with a Stigmatochromis Spilostichus thats starting to color. I also have a N. Fusco that looks similar to your Tyranochromis. .I envy you on the rhoadesi. I've been looking for one for about 6 months but can't seem to locate a male. I guess I could get one if I really wanted one but I don't want to pay the expensive overnight freight charges. Great shots by the way. You must have used a SLR camera to get such good pics.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!

@DanniGirl: The tank is 730 liters (~190 gal). The camera - an old Canon 350D with the kit lens which are often underestimated. :)

@gverde: I bought the fish about an year ago - all of the except of strigatus were 3-4 cm (1.5") long. The largest Buccochromis is just starting to show some colors.
I don't really like the all male tank concept so I aim to 1 male to 2-3 females ratio for all the haps. A little less color but I feel it much more natural. :)

Speaking about lack of colors here are some of the females.

A holding strigatus:

The same fish again:

Unsexed (but probably female) young champsochromis:

It is clear why one would like an all male tank but the females have their charm too. :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Great pics thanx for sharing :thumb:

I started converting a mbuna tank to an all male Hap tank about three years ago. After a year we started to add girls to the mix. :eek:

They definately got more assertive with each other. Specially at spawning time.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fox said:
They definately got more assertive with each other. Specially at spawning time.
They surely do but that is an important part of what makes them so interesting. :) :fish:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts