Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my mbuna (and clean up crew) are finally in their house and I'm having some questions about feeding. My tank using a few fans to keep the temperature down runs somewhere in the low to mid 80s (typically between 83-85) and let me tell you the warm water makes them feisty! I know most recommend you feed your fish once a day as much as they can consume in 20-30 seconds, but i have a few questions for some clarification from those aquo. ocurrently.

Currently I'm using a mix of NLS and Dainichi Veggie Deluxe as my staple food, but some of the fish are too small to handle the baby sized sinking pellets at the moment. I have been using a small amount of spirulina flake (delivered via syringe) to make sure the smaller fish are able to get some nutrition. I bought some low protein vegetarian sinking disks for my bottom feeders, but i'm quickly learning that those are simply mbuna tug-o'-war toys and my bottom feeders never get a whiff of them.

1. I know the fish are ectothermic, so having a high temperature will make their metabolisms run a little faster. Would you feed twice a day a slightly smaller amount as opposed to one larger meal? Since i can't get the temp any lower, i know my fish will require more food than a group kept at 77 degrees but how can i tell how much i need to add? The mbuna follow me around the room and beg shamelessly for food even 20 seconds after they've eaten...so i know i can't trust them to tell me the right amount to feed!

2. What was taking the fish 20-30 seconds to finish a week ago is now gone before any hits the substrate (5 seconds or less), should i increase the volume of food?

3. I'm a little worried that my clean up crew (six Synodontis Lucipinnis and one BN Pleco) aren't getting enough food because of how voracious the mbuna are as soon as food hits the tank. The cats cruise around after food has been out, but i haven't seen them eat anything visible in 2-3 days. There is no visible algae for the pleco, although he does scoot around mouthing the whole tank so he must be getting some small nutrition from that. Any recommendations to insure that my clean up crew is getting enough to eat (especially the pleco who isn't nearly as adventurous as the synos)?

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer!

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I like to feed enough (and dump it fast enough) that some hits the bottom for the synos and then I stop.

Are the synos getting skinny? If not they are getting enough.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i put the food in by the power head or the filter out let. it will sink and spread out across the tank faster giving everyone a change to grab atleast alittle. cucumber is also a good option for the bottom feeders since it doesnt get eaten as fast and they can graze on it. i supplement the algae on the glass with waffers the plecos seem to appreciate them

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@DJ - The Synos are the smallest fish in the tank, around 3/4-1" and they don't really sit still or in the open very long for me to check their stomachs. Any suggestions for the Pleco?

@Grumble - I do the same, but these fish are like little colorful anger sharks...nothing is hitting the bottom so far even when diffused over a large area...and algae wafers just get claimed by mbuna before they can hit the bottom, and then it becomes a 7-8 fish scrum for it.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Watch them at lights out, they like to swim up the glass and show you their bellies.

If you are really concerned, net them.

I suspect they are fine.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I put enough all at once that everyone gets some, and while I don't ever see the synos get any food, their fat bellies tell me they'll be just fine.

If they look skinny, I'd feed after lights out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.