Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally setting my 110 up. I checked the floor and the stand for level and both were nearly dead on, however when i put the tank on the stand the edge of the tank is a clear 1/8" from the corner of the stand and lifted off the edge of the stand for a good 8" (the tank IS level at the top of the tank, however). Most of the information that i can find on leveling a stand rely on the stand being off level with relationship to the floor; however mine is off in relationship between the tank and the stand.

My first instinct would be to get a sheet of styrofoam under the tank, however the manufacturer says using styrofoam in that fashion voids the warranty since it's a rim-supported aquarium. Would sheets just under the rim itself work? Can anyone offer any advice?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
That would seem be be a twisted or warped stand. Any chance this is a new setup? I've used styro sheets to work around lumps and bumps in the top of stands and got by with it. Laying a long level or straightedge on the top various ways should show some spot where it is not truly flat. Shims could be placed where the tank bottom rim doesn't set flat on the stand but that always makes me a little uneasy as shims tend to crush down over time and then the tank is left holding against the twist. Not good.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a new set-up, just recently finished....i filled the tank up just to see where things were at and it appears that the surface that meets the tank bottom is bowed slightly up in the middle. I can get a business card under all four corners as well as both lateral sides. I'm at a loss of what to do apart from lay a sheet of 1/2 inch styrofoam and see if that levels it.

I'll also get a longer level...i thought my 2 foot one would be sufficient, but that told me the stand and floor were pretty near to plumb, and that clearly isn't the case.

Please feel free to drop any other pearls of wisdom, as i'm at a loss!

·
Registered
656 Posts
The tank itself is probably a little crooked, no big deal, I have one like that myself. I got the tank sitting with three corners on the stand, with the top level, and slid a quarter and a nickel under the corner that was up in the air. Believe it or not this method of leveling a tank is recommended in more than one book on setting up aquariums.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
If the stand is bowed up in the middle, a sheet of styro will probably help. I wouldn't be concerned about the warranty, because it would be void if the tank was not sitting flat to the stand. Styro will not help with leveling but it does wonders for discrepencies in flatness. I like to use 3/4" white styro which is available very cheaply at home improvement stores in 2' widths. Put the whole piece under the tank rather than just under the rim. I think you will be surprised how little the tank sinks into the styro.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I agree with the thoughts on the warrenty. Most likely it is not worth much unless a corner comes without a seal! The dealer might be the best bet there anyway. I find in this case a strip of foam of whatever is handy to you will do some to make it feel right. Since the middle doesn't come down to the stand, I see no reason for using foam there unless it is handy to do. Tanks are much stronger than we think many times. I have had strips of blue under one of mine and just moved it out. There are places where the tank had sunk into the foam more than other places. This was what I wanted as I knew the stand top was not true. Sounds like you have the same only possibly less. I found the tank will put more weight on the foam where it rests heavy and the foam gives more in that spot until the total frame is down on some portion. Kind of self-equalizes the load?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, between this and another forum i've gotten some pretty good advice/suggestions, i just wanted to bounce a few extra questions off you guys.

1. If i use white styrofoam, can you offer any suggestions to cover it up? My tank rim is black plastic and my stand is a gun metal gray, i'd hate for my tank bottom to look like a demented oreo cookie.

2. When i voiced that concern with someone else they recommended black rubber foam weatherseal tape basically attached where the rim of the tank will touch the stand. The color on this will look a ton better, but i'm concerned about it being as stable since the widest i can seem to find these is about 1.25 inches. Any opinions on this stuff?

This is the stuff they're suggesting:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
You are correct about the oreo look. I did not cover my blueboard and it has bothered me all the time. I don't like the white as well due to the rougher texture and the way it tends to flake off the little round balls. The blue or pink have a smoother texture without the balls. I find I can get a pretty smooth edge on the blue by using a radial arm saw. The edge of the blade works to smooth as I cut. I now have my tank off the stand and since there is little that can be done to color it, I'm planning to wrap it as tightly as I can in black fabric to more closely match my trim and stand, both black. I'm thinking black silk type material may be best. Paint of any sort will flake off as the foam is moved or bent.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sadly, i can't find the blue or pink extruded foam anywhere in town in vegas in a thickness less than 1". That ends up being kind of tall. Great idea about the black cloth though, because i was having a really hard time trying to figure out how to paint it without it flaking all over the place. Wish i could fine the extruded (blue or pink) anywhere in town here in 1/2" or even 3/4", but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I use those yoga exercise mats. It's about 1/8 of an inch and may work for you since you said your tank is only off 1/8 of an inch. Also you can find it in multiple colors.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I need to change my answer a bit as I now have a different aproach. I found the cloth I had was not going to fold very well as well as being a possible problem when wet. My wife suggested craft paint like used for fabric painting. We had a small bottle of black on hand but I know it is available many places for less than a dollar. It won't help if you can't find blue or pink but it painted my blue very nice and smooth. I plan to set the tank in place today. Seems like it will do a nice job of hiding the edge of the blue board. I find there is only a limited selection of insulation here in Central Texas as well. In my case I was looking for some thicker than 1/2" to cover some exterior plumbing but found none.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
White styro does not have the balls associated with the similar white product used to form packing material. It will cut smoothly with a sharp blade although a hot wire is the best tool, and can easily be painted black. I prefer it as it is a little softer and a little cheaper. It will easily carry the weight of a tank. As PfunMo stated earlier the tank will sink in until the weight is evenly supported, which is how it deals with discrepencies in flatness. Putting a soft material, such as a foam mat, will fill the space and make it look like it is helping, but it will not do what a solid material like styro does.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I went with a 3/8" black yoga mat and it seemed to be getting the job done but I must admit billd has me questioning my choice. What would be a way to check to see if the mat is supporting enough?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Try and shove a credit card between the tank and mat. If you can get it in try pushing down on the card. If it moves, the mat is filling the gap not supporting the tank. This wouldn't be totally definitive, but might give you an idea.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can press the credit card with some wiggling under the outer rim, but can't get to the glass at all, looks like it's gonna do the job! Thanks for all the help guys, this forum is amazing!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts