Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble with some of my zebra mbunas hiding and not eating. Maybe it has something to do with the species because all my acei, labs, and rusties are doing fine. I suspect that it might be bloat again because the dominant one has just stopped eating as well, but was wondering if it could be something else because none of my fish look overfed and the fatter rusty I was worried about before has slimmed down. I've been really trying to figure out the right amount to feed them so I've been measuring the food on a scale.

I've been feeding .3g per feeding of flake and pellet to my 32 mbuna juveniles for about a couple weeks now (mix of pellets and flake in the morning and flake at night). Maybe my issue is that I've been overfeeding the flakes (.3g of pellets is a little over 1/16 tsp while .3g of flake is about 1/4 tsp) but I assume if I'm feeding the same weight it should be the same? I thought that flake was harder to overfeed with because it is a lighter meal.

I'm worried that if I lower the amount of food and/or stop feeding flake, some mbunas won't have enough to eat. I just fed .2g of pellet this morning and the food was gone in less than 10 seconds with some smaller fish not getting a bite.

Do you have any advice on what I should do? Should I wait a little bit longer before I start treating for bloat? Also is it normal for zebras to dart into hiding places whenever you make slight movements or approach the tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,680 Posts
The zebras are feeling harassed, for a good reason or not. Don't worry about small fish not getting a bite. Flake is harder to control the amount because it floats all over the tank and drops everywhere and the fish can nibble it over time. The sinking pellets drop to the bottom and usually the fish catch them all before they hit the substrate.

A bloated fish can be fatter or skinnier. The way you know it is the condition we call bloat (the one that metronidazole will help) is by the feces. If they are thick and food colored then it is not bloat...look for something else. If it is thready and white/clear then treat with metronidazole.

I would isolate that fish in the hospital tank and monitor/treat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm a little hesitant on isolating fish into separate tanks because I heard that it could be hard to reintroduce them to the main tank. In your experience is this true?

·
Super Moderator
40,680 Posts
There are ways to do this, but most importantly if you do NOT isolate him the others can kill him and/or he can infect the others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts