Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year and half ago just as we went into the first lock down I set up my first Mbuna tank, what an experience it has been!

I got my new tank which I was told by many here it was a bit on the small side for Mbuna especially as I wanted a couple of groups, one being Demasoni. The tank is 39″ L x 16″ W x 28″ H (53 US gallons).

After getting loads of advice I got a group of 14 Demasoni and 5 yellow labs. I've had so many fry from the Demasoni…..literally hundreds and won't lie made a little money which has been great. I'm sure you all sense a "but" and here it comes. BUT!!!!!!! recently I've noticed less and less activity from the Demasoni and the only fish that really get out and about are the labs. Today I decided to take some rock out to find I have the one alpha male Demasoni who I knew took out a few of his fellow demos and only 3 others!!!!! I am guessing he has killed everyone off!! I'm shocked. I'll admit I knew he had taken the group down to maybe 7-8 but I assumed he had sorted the group out but wow he has seen them all off!!!

So here's my question….I have about 12 juvenile Demos all growing out that I could put into my tank, after I have re homed the large alpha male and start all over. Sell the fry off and enjoy them again for hopefully longer than a few years or do I do something different.

I have another 4 foot species only tank so I will still breed from there. What would you all do? Add a different group to what I already have? What would work with the tank size and the labs, as I really don't want just 7 fish in my tank.
I'd love some ideas of what you all would do as I am even contemplating starting a total new project.

Thanks for any advice you have.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a group of 15 Honghi in my 48. The measurements are 47.6" x 16.1" x 21.7"

The labs are in the tank with the remaining 3 Demasoni. So currently I have two tanks the larger one with just Honghi and the smaller with the 4 labs and now 3 adult demos.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.