Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year and half ago just as we went into the first lock down I set up my first Mbuna tank, what an experience it has been!

I got my new tank which I was told by many here it was a bit on the small side for Mbuna especially as I wanted a couple of groups, one being Demasoni. The tank is 39″ L x 16″ W x 28″ H (53 US gallons).

After getting loads of advice I got a group of 14 Demasoni and 5 yellow labs. I've had so many fry from the Demasoni…..literally hundreds and won't lie made a little money which has been great. I'm sure you all sense a "but" and here it comes. BUT!!!!!!! recently I've noticed less and less activity from the Demasoni and the only fish that really get out and about are the labs. Today I decided to take some rock out to find I have the one alpha male Demasoni who I knew took out a few of his fellow demos and only 3 others!!!!! I am guessing he has killed everyone off!! I'm shocked. I'll admit I knew he had taken the group down to maybe 7-8 but I assumed he had sorted the group out but wow he has seen them all off!!!

So here's my question….I have about 12 juvenile Demos all growing out that I could put into my tank, after I have re homed the large alpha male and start all over. Sell the fry off and enjoy them again for hopefully longer than a few years or do I do something different.

I have another 4 foot species only tank so I will still breed from there. What would you all do? Add a different group to what I already have? What would work with the tank size and the labs, as I really don't want just 7 fish in my tank.
I'd love some ideas of what you all would do as I am even contemplating starting a total new project.

Thanks for any advice you have.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Why not sell the adult demasoni and breed the remaining demasoni in the 39" tank.

Then add some species to the 48" tank to go with the labs. What are the dimensions of the 48" tank?

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Sorry to hear that. But unfortunately in aquariums, that is what Demsoni usually wind up doing doing to each other.... :oops:
-
Why not go for a little of both Cichlid worlds? A re-work in this case, with a pair of small to mid-size substrate spawning Cichlids in that tank? Something from the African Hemichromis line is one type. The CA Neetroplus neematopus species is another. An aquarium set up specifically for a pair of Substrate spawning Cichlids has a very different look and sensibility than Mbuna. But no worries - the aggression is definitely ALL THERE. Because yes, a single pair of either of those Cichlid species would literally WRECK anything else stocked with them in a tank that size. But, those species of Cichlids do look pretty fantastic, even when not spawning. And, if you start out with really nice breeders (WC or F1), you'll be back in the fish-selling business in no time. :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a group of 15 Honghi in my 48. The measurements are 47.6" x 16.1" x 21.7"

The labs are in the tank with the remaining 3 Demasoni. So currently I have two tanks the larger one with just Honghi and the smaller with the 4 labs and now 3 adult demos.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
So you have a 39 inch tank available and you want to keep the labs?

You could sell the adult demasoni (or keep any that are known females) and add the 12 juveniles.

Or you could sell all the demasoni and add a small, peaceful species like 1m:3f Cynotilapia zebroides Cobue to be tankmates with the labs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts