Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was looking for some advice as what to stock my Mbuna tank with. I currently have one of each of these: Kingsizei, Auratus, Bumblebee, Red zebra, Cobalt blue, Yellow lab, and i very recently added a Maingano. Somebody told me i should double this stock and i was looking for some ideas of new species while maintaining some diversity in colours. Thanks.

Note: I also have a BN pleco.

Other note: my tank is 75 gallons.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Always the problem with all-male mbuna...once you get the ones on your list, there are not too many others that don't look anything like what you already have.

Twelve fish should be enough.

I don't have any suggestions. Well maybe albino socolofi and fuelleborni. You could try an OB peacock.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I was already planning to get a demasoni and i really like the msobo. But I don't like the idea of having albino fish because of the red eyes. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Timothy12 said:
Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
Really doesn't matter, you can't avoid problems, just try avoid fish that are very closely related. Hope that they get along, remove problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since you already have kind of a cluster of pretty aggressive fish im going to give you some more aggressive type, different looking suggestions...

Zebra chilumba maison reef (similar to kingsizei in color though) but would be undisputed tank boss when grown and generally pretty mild as far as tank bosses go...

SRT hongi
Afra jalo reef or cobue or any yellow top afra variant
Rusty
Acei
Red top trewavasae maybe

Just some ideas... google image search these and try to get different looking one to your taste and also so the males dont fight similar looking males... good luck

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Be cautious about putting more than one blue barred fish in the same tank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I always read on here "dont mix two blue barred species"

Over half of mbuna are blue barred pretty much.

In an all male tank its perfectly fine to mix blue barred species so long as they arent super closely related... or very similar in color/pattern. Example: dont put red top zebras with zebra chilumba... they look very similar and may fight and will likely interbreed.

A few examples that WILL work as i have done it are:
Maison reef zebras with hongi
Maison reef zebras with cobue
Maison reef zebras with afra hai reef
So on and so forth...

A high percentage of blue barred mbuna are conspecifically aggresive... or aggressive towards their own kind... and most times will ignore other species. I will say each fish is an individual though and you will always have a troublemaker now and then. I have also mixed blue barred species and watched courting and breeding and they always breed with their own females if their own females are there to breed with. Just 2 cents from a guy thats been keeping and breeding mbuna only for about 15 years... good luck

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok thanks. Does it work to have blue barred species if one is horizontal and one is vertical?
Well my main problem is not introducing them all at the same time, for example, my Auratus is like 5 years old (I think that's pretty old for a Cichlid?)and my Maingano is still really small so they're all pretty aggressive towards him. I added some small caves that only he can fit in though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my experience horizontal barred cichlids completely ignore vertical barred species. Horizontal barred species like johanni and auratus are significantly more aggressive toward other fish with similar horizontal barring than two vertical barred fish will be toward each other. As far as Chewere and demasoni... will work fine IMO

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Bars are vertical and stripes are horizontal, they are fine together.

I have had trouble mixing...even with very different blue barred species like demasoni and hara. No one died, but the hara did MUCH better (brilliant colors versus drab) with other mbuna that are not blue barred.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well thanks guys! What I ended up buying: Melanochromis exasperatus, (please tell me this won't change colour like the Auratus) Red top hongi and a Chewere. The store had some Demasonis but they were a bit outside of my price range.

My tank stock: Auratus, Red Zebra, Cobalt Blue, Exasperatus, Chewere, Bumblebee, Red Top Hongi, Kingsizei and Yellow Lab.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts