Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from undergravel/sand jets, does anyone have a suggestion for reducing the buildup of poo on top of the sand in my 55g? I've got the Penguin double HOB running on the left side and a sponge filter on the right side but still getting a build up.
I would have done the undergravel/sand jets, as I am pretty handy, but lacked the proper tools and workspace.
I was thinking of getting a power head and placing it on the right side (where most of the build up is occuring) and angling it toward the HOB intake...
Another thought (a bit more work) is to split and extend the HOB intake so one would be angled to the left and one snaking across the tank to the right. Has any one tried something like this?

...or, should I just be sucking the detritus out every few days with an airline (my python tube does very little)?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
The power head sounds like the most convenient way to get more of the detritus into your filters. For what is left, I find one of those simple gravel vacuuming devices invaluable. I've never used a Python, but I think the front end is pretty much the same - just a little more work to set up if you just want to take out a few crumbs and not do a big water change.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@FMueller...yeah, maybe I should just get an additional short vacuum for quickie cleanups

@GTZ :eek: Would love to have, prolly spendy though right?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I use those, pretty handy. $12 online at Dr F & S, and I've seen them for about $20 local. I take the gravel thing off the end and just use the tube to siphon stuff off the sand. Picking up a little sand doesn't hurt the thing.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh my...I didn't know they'd be so reasonable! Well, I need to order some food anyway (my male Williamsi has decided the current fare is not suitable), I might as well get that while I'm at it :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:
I loved the idea of the battery powered vacuum but was not impressed at the very mixed reviews they have online. So, I just bought a second Penguin 350 (for only $24!) so now I'm even :)
I also bought a few extra goodies, I'll make sure to take pics once everything is installed :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I don't know if you've watched the video on how to vacuum sand, but basically you take the gravel vac off and it's just the 1/2" rubber tube...You hold it a little over an inch or so off of the bottom and the poop gets sucked right up.

BTW, you needed 2 HOBs anyway and $24.00 is a helluva price, so don't think you wasted money. :D

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
benny71 said:
I don't know if you've watched the video on how to vacuum sand, but basically you take the gravel vac off and it's just the 1/2" rubber tube...You hold it a little over an inch or so off of the bottom and the poop gets sucked right up.
BTW, you needed 2 HOBs anyway and $24.00 is a helluva price, so don't think you wasted money. :D
Oh I know how to vacuum sand, just was trying to figure out an easier method :p

Oh and yes, I decided having that second HOB would be better in the long run so I can overstock the mbuna without concern for the added bioload :thumb: And yes, killer deal!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts