Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the frontosa and cobalt blue zebra back to the lfs for these 4 "flamebacks". Can someone help identify them? Thank you![/img]

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, that's not it. It's more of a rainbow color and has vertical black stripes on it's body and black stripes on its face.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks. could be, but are their other fish that look similar? I was told they are not that aggressive....

·
Registered
71 Posts
jbgd99 said:
thanks. could be, but are their other fish that look similar? I was told they are not that aggressive....
That is certainly a fish from the Pundamilia complex. I'm be tempted to say young Pundamilia nyererei "Makobe Island" but would be more confident if I knew if they are juveniles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This was my male Pundamilia nyererei "Makobe Island" on the day I got him. So he's not fully colored up. He was around 6 cm so he was a young un.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
jbgd99 said:
Well, if they are nyererei, which looks likely you were told wrong. There are a number of different nyererei, and then some tank versions as well. Which you have is hard to tell, until it is fully coloured up.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
koslonc said:
In my opinion, what you have is the following:
I think that is the best guess. Kyoga flamebacks were previously referred to as Hap sp "allred Kyoga/Nawampassa". There seems to be a great deal of variation in the Kyoga flamebacks being sold in the hobby today. But as your fish gets older, the amount of red coloration should increase over what appears in the OP's picture.

Here are mine:
http://www.african-cichlid.com/allred.htm
They came from the LFS so have no certainty of their purity either. They do show a great deal of color variety based upon age and mood. As you can see, the hint of vertical striping is never as distinct as it is in the nyererei. They look very similar to the allred I purchased in 1999 as well.

Kevin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts