Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

We live in Arizona so our water is very good for our Africans.

I have a soft water loop to our condo, however, getting to the hard water tap is a bit of a chore. We use the hard water for weekly water changes.

Question: can we use the soft water to do a light vacume in between the weekly water changes, it would be a lot cleaner in the tank.

Thanks for any advise/replies.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I would increase filtration instead to eliminate the need for vacuuming in between changes. Possibly eliminate it entirely.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
You asked if you can use soft water or vacuuming. It is probably softened water, not RO and/or deionized. If it's softened water, it will have sodium ions instead of calcium and magnesium ions. I have never had it affect my African cichlids, so the small top-off after vacuuming should not be as problem. If it is RO-DI water, the ten percent I'm guessing you'd replace should not have much effect on hardness or pH.

Adding filtration, whether bigger or a second filter is a good suggestion. I'm partial to the Mattenfilter option since it's quiet, low maintenance, and does not "eat" flake food or cichlid fry. But to get the debris off of the substrate, a wave-maker is ideal. The on and off turbulence of the wave-maker lifts up debris and it can eventually end up inside a filter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.