Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Cichlid crew!
I'm trying to sort out stocking for my 110 gal. It's 48"x30"x18" with 18 being the height of the tank. It's basically a 110 tall rotated 90 degrees.
I have Ps. Acei (2:6) and Lab. Caeruleus (2:8) in it now. Was planning on adding a third species, originally Ps. Williamsi, but I don't like the Blue Lips and the Chizumulu isn't available locally.
So, then I locked in on the Ps. Socolofi because it looks so similar, being blue with the black submarginal band (which echoes the yellow with black submarginal band on my Yellow Labs). Also, according to the species profile, it's mild on the aggression scale and easy for a beginner (that's me!) to keep. Finally, these three species are listed (along with a few others) in one of the 75 gal Cookie Cutter setups. I had also looked at Metriaclima Callainos, but liked that Socolofi had the black submarginal band.
However, I've gotten a couple pieces of anecdotal advice that the Socolofi is too aggressive to make for good tankmates with the Acei and Yellow Labs. I don't want to ignore that, so here I am asking for more anecdotes.
I am wide open to suggestions for a monomorphic, mild-mannered (as Mbuna go) tank mate near in adult size to the Acei and Labs. I prefer a solid color. I'm okay with faint barring, as I know the Acei show faint stripes when in lighter colors. I just don't want something with sharp zebra stripes.
Any help?

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
I would avoid having 2 males of anything. With both labs and acei the females are just as colorful, so no real reason to have males over females.

I will say this about socolofi. I had them with acei and I found the colors too similar. For contrast I swapped out the socolofi.

What about the pearl callainos? This would be a white fish.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I kept albino socolofi in my 125 with Acei,White tops,and Red Zebra.Those were more aggressive than i imagined they'd be.The white was amazing contrast though. Eventually I switched them out.I think the Caillainos would be a bit more well behaved in your tank,but probably not by much.I think the blue Socolofi or Caillainos, with Acei might not give you the best color difference.maybe you like having all the extra blue in your tank though.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd prefer the contrast. So maybe the albino Socolofi, or in a totally different vein: Met. Estherae? Are they more or less territorial than the Socolofi?

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
You don't want estherae with yellow labs.

Metriaclima callainos "pearl" is a white version of callainos.

I would say the Metriaclima and Socolofi are similar in aggression.

The problem with solid colors is if you already have a blue (acei) and a yellow (labs) there are not really other solid colors other than white that will give you contrast.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
For contrast / white fish you could go with white labs (Nkhata Bay) rather than albino Socolofi. The white lab is peaceful just like Y.labs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
White Labs is a good idea. Is that going to lead to a hybridization problem? I'm not clear on whether color variants crossing "counts" as hybridization.
Also, what about Iodotropheus Sprengerae (rusties)?
Those are reddish, no?
I get that I'm running out of color options with a solid yellow and solid blue. Reddish/orange and white are it. I'm not opposed to the whites at all, just checking my options. Tnx for the patient discussion.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Y/labs and white labs would probably breed, I'm honestly not sure what color they would come out (either yellow or white) so I don't think that would be actual hybridization since they are still both labs.

Rusties are pretty cool. I use to have a trip of rusties, they were very mellow and didn't bother anyone. They were somewhat of an blue/purple'ish color with a tad of orange/rust color on the belly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts