Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there was an utter disaster in my tank. A misbehaving Saddle Valve oversupplied fresh water to my automatic water changer system, and that meant that the chloramines in the incoming water went under-treated. As a result I lost every blasted fish overnight. (Major disappointment and guilty feelings over here!) But I'm fixing the plumbing and once the tank re-cycles I'll be ready to stock again.
The net is that I'm back to the drawing board for stocking my 110. (48x18x30) So if you saw my previous thread in the topic, I'm aiming for Malawi Mbuna in solid colors. I'm looking at a 1m:8 f for three species, ideally. Right now I'm looking at Met. Caillanos (pearl) for white, Ps. Socolofi for blue, and Met. Estherae Red or Orange.
Anyone see a disaster looming there? Or does that sound feasible?

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
Not a disaster unless you were trying to breed for saving fry, and they may cross breed and then you may not even know what the fry actually are.. The fish are rather similar, so males may compete, not the easiest set up but hardly completely impossible either if that is what you want. The potential problem is that both Callainos and Estherae are Zebra complex Mbuna, and all 3 species have light blue males in nature. You want the tank somewhat crowded, and you can try but it is hard to get a perfect group with 8 females and 3 males, easier said than done. I would still recommend a barred species for contrast and to add to the mix. Mbuna are always somewhat of a challenge, unless you just try for the easiest fish which can be rather boring.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Does anyone know of another website that has good profiles? Or why the photos are all broken in the profile library here on Cichlid Forum? I'm never sure if the results of google image searches are reliable, and it makes finding species I like a challenge.

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
The Species Profiles pics are 'temporarily' broken and we have no ETA on when they'll be fixed so sorry in advance.

The only other forum I'm aware of with great pics and profiles is cichlidae.com but I'm not sure if you can see the pics without an annual membership. I know you can't see the extended species profiles without paying.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
I would look at a vendor site for pictures. Try Dave's Rare Fish. Definitely will have the proper scientific names there...have not really found any other vendor for whom that is true.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about you losing your fish.
I would be careful adding 2 different Metriaclima groups to one tank.I like both Caillainos and Estherea,but I will always pick estherea first.

May I suggest Going with
Metrialicam Estherea
Cynotilapia Sp. White top Hara and..
Ps. Cyaneorhabdos (maingano).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts