Cichlid Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
nerite, to name one. they are giant snails and from what i understand are good algae eaters and dont multiple like trumpet snails. there are also a few others.

you can see the types of snails people sell for tanks at aquabid

·
Registered
688 Posts
Nerite snails are great algae eaters and they do not destroy plants. They lay eggs, but the eggs don't hatch unless they are in salt water. They are not giant snails. They are about the size of a penny.

·
Registered
114 Posts
they have been doing a great job in my diatom infested tank.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
748johnd said:
Nerite snails are great algae eaters and they do not destroy plants. They lay eggs, but the eggs don't hatch unless they are in salt water. They are not giant snails. They are about the size of a penny.
*** never owned one, but the pictures make them look so big!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have zebra nerites that are about 1/2" -3/4". If i am not mistaken, olive nerite snails get a little bigger.

·
Registered
688 Posts
My nerites are the olive ones which I have had for over a year and they are about the size of a penny. Maybe they are dwarfs. I have had Japanese trap door snails in the past and they get quite large--about the size of a half dollar. Japanese trap door snails have live young, but not many and they do a pretty good job of eating algae. Those two snails are my favorites.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I got my nerite snails online along with some fish. It wasn't cheap, but it was either pay the price or do without. I got my Japanese trap door snails locally from a nursery that has a pond and pond supplies. If you try the Trading Post you may find someone who has nerite snails for sale.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Olive nerites are smaller (dime sized) and zebra nerites are a little larger. But neither are giant snails.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Brandon:

prov356 said:
or ways a place online to buy them good and cheap?
Please use the trading post, or request a pm with info, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Cichlid-forum provided the Reviews and Trading Post sections to avoid the mention of specific retailer names in the forums and keep discussions aquatic instead of commercial.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.