Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have millions of trumpet snails in my tropheus tank, which contains 12 tropheus moori and a 220L tank. Just wanting to find out about treating with copper to get rid of the snails and if anyone has had any bad reactions with their tropheus and copper. If copper is not recommended then i'll take half the sand out and treat that with copper, wash and soak for a week or so, then swap sand over with other half and do the same again. But then have the problem with snails still in the tank or in the filter so what to do????

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I wouldn't kill the snails in your tank simply because you will have an entirely new problem--dead decaying snails. You won't possibly be able to find all of the dead snails and your bioload will be increase to ammounts unmeasureable.

Many loaches can help with this problem.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Get some clown loaches. They will eat all your snails. And the are pretty fun to watch.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I think most mbuna species would go to town on them. Depends on whether you want mbuna in your Tropheus tank I guess. That's a short term high dose of animal protein for mbuna though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have both the trumpet and ramshorn types of snails in my tank and the trophs just love them. They'll usually pick them off the glass and then suck out the tasty snail. (escargo anyone?) the shells are starting to pile up now, so hopefully the tank will look a little more like lake Tang as time goes on, with all the shell beds. :fish: At least all the minerals are staying in the tank to be recycled rather than being dumped down the drain during water changes, maybe give me a little extra buffer :lol: IMO I would just leave them in there, they help aerate the sand anyway.

·
Registered
57 Posts
A buddy of mine that runs a LFS said that MBU Puffers will really do the trick on snails. I am not sure what fish they are liable to consume as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts