Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw that my acei has a small, white thing sticking out of his anus or vent. It couldn't be more than a millimeter long. He's eating well. As of recently, he has been hiding a lot, but he was always the dominant male. I did notice the sub-dominant male chasing him just a little bit, nothing bad. Could he be weakened from the thing or is it just a switching of dominance. He still does chase other fish and sometimes has his fins fully extended. I fed the whole tank some metronidazole food. He ate it without a problem. I used the 1 scoop metro to 5 scoops focus combination in 1 tbsp of food. Is that enough? I feed them less of the medicated food than I do with normal food of the same type. Probably half as much. I am using flake and occasionally frozen for the medicated food, which is what I usually feed them. Is that a good practice, or should I try to get as much meds as possible in their guts by feeding them normal amounts.

·
Super Moderator
1,844 Posts
If using medications, you need to dose per the directions and for the amount of time recommended.

Are you sure what is sticking out is NOT a female egg tube or male genital papilla? FWIW, the anus is different than the vent, the vent is between the anus and the anal fin on the fish.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deeda said:
If using medications, you need to dose per the directions and for the amount of time recommended.

Are you sure what is sticking out is NOT a female egg tube or male genital papilla? FWIW, the anus is different than the vent, the vent is between the anus and the anal fin on the fish.
Do acei have visible papilla? I know he's a male because I've seen him spawning with a female (eggs were laid and collected, not just the dance). I didn't take a close look at which hole the thing is coming out of, so I was unsure whether it was the vent or the anus.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On a side note, I heard that some people use 1 scoop metroplex and 1 scoop focus, but the focus package says 5 scoops focus to 1 scoop medication. Which one should I follow? Also, he is not bloated at all. Just normal, which is a slightly sunken in belly, nothing too bad. It's the way it has always been.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just looked at the other fish. The females didn't have this and the subdominant male, sure enough, has one that is even smaller, probably because he is 1.5 inches smaller than the dominant one. Anyways, the dominant is dominant again. Probably just got chased a little bit by the red zebras in the tank. I did rearrange the rocks yesterday. Also, seemingly half of the juveniles (1...2...3...4...oh my god stop moving...1...2...), which are the offspring of the dominant acei and a female have them. I'm sure I double counted somewhere, so hopefully there's more females than males. Also, the male zebra has one too. Thanks anyways Deeda. I would have been feeding medicated food for who knows how long lol.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
I don't use medicated food either. What is the "thing"? If it is not an egg tube because only your males have it, then is it a parasite? I think it would make a difference on which medication you would choose.

If he is eating it is not bloat, which is usually what you use metronidazole for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts