Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here's the deal, atm we have 4 small cichlids in a 10 gallon. We just bought (looking at it tomorrow) a large bowfront (lady says its between 50-100 gallons LOL). Now I plan on using my 10 gallon as my sump. If I transfered substrate water plants and filter would my penguin 100 and a whisper for a 10 gallon hold up the water long enough for me to construct my sump?

How long is silicone curing time?

Tell me your opionions.

·
Registered
48 Posts
50-100 gallons is a big difference between the two lol. Well if your worried about it I would just buy another 10 gallon or 20 gallon to build your sump and keep the fish that you have in your 10 gallon now.

As for silicone they say around 24 to 48 hours. But for me I usually let it cure for about 3 days.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice guess there fishwolfe. you would be correct its a 72gal. also i didnt realize this but the tank is drilled :D

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We got it, the stand all for 45 bucks. I LOVE YOU CRAIGSLIST!!!!!

What a steal. Missing a bulkhead and there is some discoloration on some of the silicone but you cant pull it up and was advised to leave it alone and not re-seal. So right now its full of water to test for leaks, man is it big. We were originally thinking of getting a 55 gallon. But this came along and couldn't resist.

Now here is a question, What gph is recommended for a 72 gallon tank with 6 UGJ? From what I can tell the outflow on the overflow is 1 inch and the intake is 3/4. The stand is 21 inches tall. Would it be better to run 2 powerheads, 1 from the sump to the tank, and 1 to run the UGJ or 1 to run the water from the sump to the jets?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Don't use a powerhead to power your sump. Get a utility pump. Powerheads aren't designed to deal with the flow or head needed here.

Further, consider using a bigger rubbermaid bin for your sump. 10g is not much of a sump and doesn't give you much room to play around. One of the great parts of sumps is you can add your heaters and all that junk to them. Look around here and search DIY SUMP for ideas.

·
Registered
164 Posts
depends on how many outlets you have on your ugj, you normally want between 100-150 gph per outlet, so 4-5 is what you would get with that flow.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
being on the bottom, an ugj set up could back siphon on you.you could put in a check valve but that would reduce the flow.500gph would run 4-5 jets.i would use 4,being that elbows and connections would reduce the flow some what.remember picking your pump to factor in head height and eventual wanted out flow.most utility pumps arent rated for continues use.you should look at mag or rio or other pumps designed for continual aquarium use.i have a rio and am happy with it.but everyone has a favorite so theres lots of opinions out there.do a search and you'll see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts