Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for a specific for a 20 gallon with L. ocellatus and J. transcriptus?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Sure NLS and they will do fine. No way they need expensive fish food like this (In the UK NLS grow is a bit expensive to say the least). Any fish flake or small fish pellit will do fine. Depends on what you can get given to you free to try I think. :wink:

Still looking for any evidence NLS is better than any other fish food for these guys kind of thing.

All the best James

·
Registered
790 Posts
24Tropheus said:
Sure NLS and they will do fine. No way they need expensive fish food like this (In the UK NLS grow is a bit expensive to say the least). Any fish flake or small fish pellit will do fine. Depends on what you can get given to you free to try I think. :wink:

Still looking for any evidence NLS is better than any other fish food for these guys kind of thing.

All the best James
Ya the NLS here is cheap $15 at the most for the larger container at my LFS. I guess it just comes down to what experience and preference. I just have found the NLS has worked for me for a few years now so I always recommend it.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
How about brine daphnia or mysis shrimp as a treat or to vary the diet?
Fish don't need 'treats' and feeding that way can sometimes do more harm than good. And they don't care about variety. If you feel you need to vary the diet because your staple food is lacking in some things, then time to find a better staple food. I feed NLS exclusively, but not because I think it's 'better' than all other foods. I've found something that works for a wide variety of tanganyikans, west aftricans, etc so I stick with it. It's not a big chunk of my fishkeeping budget, so I haven't been motivated to try something cheaper. NLS is not the only good food out there. Just find a good quality flake or pellet and go with it. Just my gut feeling, but I think the thing to avoid is switching things around too much. And, of course, that's a generalization. There are always exceptions, but have a reason besides thinking that the fish get bored with the same foods. They don't have the mental capacity for boredom.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
NLS is as cheap as the cheap stuff if you buy it in bulk as I do. I go through two buckets a year and keep it in my freezer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
prov356 Good point about switching it up.
Not that dogs and cats are the same but my wife is a veternarian and one big problem people create with their animals is switching foods. It causes all sorts of problems- alergies, diarrea, obesity etc. Best to stick with one thing. That was my plan and what I had done in the past. Just thought I would ask the question.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts