Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished the fishless cycling of my tank, Am 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates 80 this morning. This was over a five week period of adding nothing but Ammonia and dechlorinator to replenish the evaported water. Towards the end of the cycle (the past five days), I've been doing 10-15% twice daily to "semi" control the nitrates. This is a six foot 150G tank with 2 fluval 405's and 2 AC 110's. This was cycled with a heavy load of ammonia (originally 5.0ppm cut back to 2-3.0ppm after the ammonia dropped to zero)

Today I noticed a few small (1/8 to 1/4 inch) red wiggling worms free swimming in the tank. A few meaning four or five. Haven't looked in the filters, but I am sure I would find more.

The problem is: My fish are enroute (50 juves, mbuna's) and will be here in the morning. I plan on doing a 50% water change tonite and another 50% tomorrow before the fish arive.

Any ideas of what these wormlike creatures are? What harm to the fish? I have no other alternatives, the fish have to go into this tank.

The only thing I can come up with is larva from a bug of some sort???

At first I thought it was a tiny piece of red thread floating around, this best describes what they look like

Thanks
Doug

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Is the substrate new? Or from an other tank?

Some time back someone posted about the sudden appearance of worms in their tank. They weren't nemotodes or planaria and it was determined that they were from some kind of insect passing through. Not a concern to the fish at all.

If I have time I'll do a search to find the post but I can't think of any kind of parasite that could appear in a bran new tank and be any kind of threat to your fish.

Good luck with your new fish.

Robin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts