Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Okay so back in October one of my White Tail Acei had about 30 tiny little fry. They were in a breeder box for about two weeks, and now they are swimming around in a sponge filtered 29G tank. They are only at about 1.5", shouldn't they be bigger? 1.75" at the most. Fed alternating 1x daily and 3x daily NLS Grow, with almost daily water changes (usually daily, occasionally a day skipped, and I was out of town for three days, but for the most part), oh and 80% water changes each and every single time, if not more.

My problem is, I'm on well water, with about 15ppm Nitrate in it. However, it is super rich in minerals and very very very hard, I do use conditioner of course, but I would think I would have really good water for them to grow? Except of course for that pesky nitrate. That's why I do such massive water changes, the main tank (75G) gets 75-80% a week, sometimes twice a week, but I've still got some Cynotilapia Afra I got from a member here who lives locally, who still haven't colored up, and I've had them since August. Fed NLS Cichlid formula.

Here's the other funny thing, the fry in the 29G are gray, but I have one fry who ended up in the tank (momma was holding one back!), I couldn't get him out for anything, he's still in there! But he looks like a mini version if his parents, he's smaller than the other fry, but he (or she) is deep blue with white fins, I need to get a picture, but it's so wild!

By the way, water parameters are always 0-0-X, where X <25, temp of 76 in the main tank, 79 in the growout, two AC110's in the 75, and an air pump rated for 125 gallons pushing a sponge filter rated for 90 gallons as filtration for the baby tank, cleaned with tank water weekly.

I'm a little stumped. The growth is slow, and I wanna make sure everyone is doing okay, anything I should be doing? Is that slow-but-acceptable growth? Or too slow?

Thoughts?

John

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
Sounds fine for three months growth to me. Is the lighting on both tanks the same? I find acei look terrible in low lighting.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for clearing that up guys. What threw me off was the guy at the LFS showing me some of his Acei (yellow tail, but I'm sure very similar in that department) that he claimed where 3 months and were 50% larger than mine, and many of them starting to show significant color.

DJ,

Your always the one to make me have an "oh duh" moment, there is no light at all on the growout tank, but after you said that I shutoff the lighting to the main tank, and while the little guy is still darker than his brothers and sisters, he no longer looks blue and white. Wild! I wish I could get him out of the tank, I spent 3 straight hour last week, he buries himself in the substrate, he dodges like mad, it's ridiculous! I'm worried that he might still be too small to survive, though I think I am going to up the water changes in the main tank, since he is so much smaller than his same-aged siblings (why is that? Is the small amount of Nitrates higher in the big tank to blame? I keep the nitrates low in it, they are rarely more than 5ppm more than the growout (usually spot on, I find nitrates go up much slower in this tank, it's planted), but he is about half the size of the others. I feed him NLS grow, he also grazes on algae (not present in the growout tank due to the lack of lighting) and he actually eats, at under an inch, the NLS Cichlid stuff, swallows it right up, that and I have some messy eaters he hovers under and eats the scraps.)

-John

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
John27

he's smaller than his (well cared for) counterparts because he has to spend a good deal of energy burying himself in the substrate, running from the net, dodging tank mates hungry mouths! :lol:

Stress slows the growth of a fish a good deal. I've only found low oxygen and illness to be worse on growing fry!

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
John27 said:
DJ,

Your always the one to make me have an "oh duh" moment
That's because I've been in the same moment. :oops: I did not buy Acei from the LFS on several occasions because of this. I stumbled across the flashlight idea trying to see a fish (socolofi) in a quarantine tank with no lights. Absolutely beautiful. Could have been a completely different fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts