Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,890 Posts
IDK what medication either but agree on septicemia. Erythromycin is probably the most available med, and metronidazole is a little harder to get, easier on your benefitial "bacteria" and expensive but is said to work. Isolate the fish in a hospital tank.

In your main tank, your groups are not large enough to manage aggression. What are the dimensions of your tank and what is your stocklist?

·
Super Moderator
40,890 Posts
Although I agree with Strum that medication in the food is vastly preferable, I have had a different experience with meds in the water over the past 10+ years.
Adding medications to the water column can only harm the tank.
Antibiotics in the water WILL kill your filter.

Metronidazole in the water (not the food as fish were not eating) did cure the fish on the several occasions when I have used it. Not sure why, FWIW.

Metronidazole should not harm your tank/filter...on the several occasions when I have used it my tank/filter/bacteria were fine.

Erythromycin is reputed to harm your tank/filter and warnings are given on the med...on the several occasions when I have used it for cyanobacteria, this did not happen to me. But in this case I was expecting it and did have a plan to transfer established media from another tank. Turned out to be not necessary on all occasions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts