Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So the only thing I could find at my petco was API pH up. I've been using that to slowly bring up the pH. I'm actually going to the store tonight to buy the stuff to make the homemade buffer. The really good news is I haven't lost another fish. Which part of the homemade buffer helps to raise the kH?? Is there anything else I should/could use to raise that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I want to thank everybody for the help. I haven't lost any fish in the last two months, although one of the fish hasn't been looking good for the last month or so. But everybody is hanging in there. I've been using the buffer and have the pH around an 8.0. Even with weekly water changes though I'm struggling to get the Nitrates below 100. Any further suggestions? Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
498 Posts
italiiano said:
I want to thank everybody for the help. I haven't lost any fish in the last two months, although one of the fish hasn't been looking good for the last month or so. But everybody is hanging in there. I've been using the buffer and have the pH around an 8.0. Even with weekly water changes though I'm struggling to get the Nitrates below 100. Any further suggestions? Thanks again guys.
100ppm nitrate is really high. I would be double-dosing Seachem Prime for your tank volume every two days. Now that is not a substitute for water changes! But, you've conquered one issue, and now get to battle the next one... (I am personally struggling with high nitrates and just purchased a de-nitrator, because I am sick of 3 water changes (60%-70%) per week to keep my nitrates below 20ppm. I can PM you if you want details.)

Right now, all I can say is that you need to do more water changes... Purigen and Seachem Stability help some, but in the long run, I figured that with all the Purigen, Stability, and water changes I make, (and the hassle of 3 water changes per week) I am better off adding a de-nitrator.

So glad you haven't lost any more fish!!! That's great news... appreciate letting us know.

·
Super Moderator
2,291 Posts
@tangmantim , this is an old topic so you probably won't get a response from the OP.

Can you provide more details on your tank setup such as how long it has been set up, frequency and amount of water changes, your test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts