Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. My son and I are brand new to the hobby. What a fantastic treasure of information your forum is. Thank you.
Our initial question is: We are getting a 75 gal tank for New World Cichlids. We are considering a Eheim 2215 Classic Cannister but a 2217 is just a few dollars more. Is it overkill? In addition, we do not plan to overpopulate.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Either way whether you overpopulate or not I would go with the 2217 right off the bat. This way should you ever decide to go with a 6ft tank (alot of people end up doing just this) you will that much closer to have all the filtration you need if not already there.

Also a lot of people recommend also using a HOB filter such as an Aqua Clear 110 to go along with their canister.

I personally run 2 canisters on my 75g, mainly for redundancy incase one fails, and also you can never over filter a tank. You can have too much water movement but it take quite a bit for a lot of fish to do that.

·
Registered
625 Posts
+1 to xxbenjamminxx. If you are in a position where the cost difference won't strain your budget, it's better to go bigger.

Since I guess we're saying what we have filtering our 75's, I have a wet dry sump with uv sterilizer that runs around 900 gph, a Fluval 204 filtering the sump's water, and an aquaclear 110.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I only invest money on filtering when I see a need. I run 3 different 75's with numerous fish and sometimes over stocked and only use one 2217 on each. The overstocking comes about when the fish breed too much too often. I do recommend going for the 2217 as right now the price is right if you shop the net and the difference is pretty small for a major gain in performance. Your first indication that you need more filter will be when you find the ammonia or nitrites creeping up or when you find you have to do too much water changing or filter cleaning to suit your schedule. For me, I wait until the problem begins to show and then I have time to get more filter.

I find the Ehiem people really do know quite a bit more about filters than I do and what they recommend works well for me.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Go with the 2217. Adding a HOB isn't a bad idea either. Redundancy is good, and having a bit of a buffer when it comes to filtering isn't a bad idea either. Better for the fish if you don't wait for ammonia/nitrite spikes before adding filtration.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
What Prov says about spikes is true. What I did not say was that I have never had any spikes when I go with the Ehiem recommendations. I have added more filters or pumps to get more water movement or circulation but have never needed to do so to get more filtering.

Their filters work as advertised. I watch and test and always assumed that I would need more but not yet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I totally agree!!!! You can't have too much filtration & I'm totally sold on spending a little more on the ehiem as well!!! I also have 2 canister filters running on my 75 & I've had no issues!!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am getting a 2217 in a week or two. I have 3 HOB's right now, and I'm wanting to get rid of 1 or 2. I hear alot of great tings about them, which reinforces my decision.

·
Registered
50 Posts
2217 will handle it. If you end up overstocking just add another.

I tend to overstock so I run (2) 2217s and an AC 110 on a 90 (same foot print as your 75 just taller). I keep a 2213 running on it too to keep it seeded for the hospital/fry tank when I need it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
But please understand that if you "overfilter" the tank, you still need to perform regular water changes at the same rate as if you had just enough filtration. The bacteria colony in the filter and elsewhere in the tank will only convert the ammonia to nitrate but the nitrate always needs to be removed by partial water changes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts