Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think that all depends on the size of tank you have them in and the size of your school, Riverwater. I find they do best in a school, but in a too-small tank you might have issues.

Although they are open-water swimmers, it doesn't hurt to provide some kind of cover/hiding places as well. When you have enough other fish to distract the males' attentions, it's pretty much a case of out of sight, out of mind. For me, it was only the holding females that ever really sought cover.

Back to the original question, my recollection is that mine started spawning about 2" as well. Right about the time the males started to show color. At least at first, spawns were quite small.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had mine in a 36" tank, which, once they started maturing, was just a bit too small. The aggression level wasn't high enough that they were hurting each other, but they didn't seem particularly happy about their accommodations. I was convinced that if I had a 75 to keep them in, they'd have been fine. Alas, at the time I did not, so I ended up selling my group after the first few spawns. My recollection is that I had 8, 3M/5F.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.