Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a couple of wild groups from two different sellers and am a bit surprised by how big and aggressive they are. RSC lists adult size as 3.5". The ones I have seem to be about 4-5 inches and almost jumbo size. What's the typical full grown size of these guys and are they normally aggressive?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bodenhimer said:
LIke how are they aggressive? TOwards each other or tankmates?
Both. The most aggressive males would chase anything and everything that came near their territory. It's not as bad right now since they're not spawning at the moment but their colors aren't as saturated now either.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,492 Posts
They chase everyone and everything, but don't seem to do any damage or scare anyone, LOL. I don't think I have any 5" ones but 4" sounds about right.

I do occasionally see a nipped fin in my group but it's rare.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
I dont know why they are said to be "not agressive". I have found that they are truely visious! My colony's are always showing signs of brutal combat. injuries galore! Bite marks and injured eyes are common place.

 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,492 Posts
NW Lover said:
I dont know why they are said to be "not agressive". I have found that they are truely visious! My colony's are always showing signs of brutal combat. injuries galore! Bite marks and injured eyes are common place.
Those don't look like Kerenge. :-?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
DJRansome said:
They chase everyone and everything, but don't seem to do any damage or scare anyone, LOL. I don't think I have any 5" ones but 4" sounds about right.
Mine chase everything too. The Brevis run for cover, but my Calvus just flare their fins - causing the Cyp to rethink his aggression. My biggest Cyp male killed himself by torpedoing head first into a rock. :eek: From what I’ve seen, they don’t seem to be a real threat to anything but themselves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
nw lover Are those Triglachromis otosigma?? If so what are they like? How big do they get. Kind of remind me of giant brevis?? Are you breeding them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
DJRansome said:
NW Lover said:
I dont know why they are said to be "not agressive". I have found that they are truely visious! My colony's are always showing signs of brutal combat. injuries galore! Bite marks and injured eyes are common place.
Those don't look like Kerenge. :-?
This is the Jumbo Variant of Kerenge....the Yellow Head lives on the tanzanian coast from kambwimba to kekese....they lives similar with the non jumbo cyps(Yellow Tail, Red Tail....) and microlepidotus....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
A little overanalization? Sorry for the thread crash. We will start my last statemen with this, "I have found that cyp's in genral seem to be very combative." As far as your variant, I dont know. My pic's were posted to show that I do have Cyp's and that I am not a "complete" idiot. Thanks.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top