Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a six foot 120 and I have a couple of questions.

1) Will a Rena XP4 (Claims to be good for 260) be enough filtration if I have 10 fronts, 4 calvus, and 6 petricola?

2) Will I need to add air stones and a air pump to help the oxygen exchange?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If the tank is not drilled, I would add another type of filter. Either another canister or a large HOB filter. You will need the extra filtration especiallly when the Fronts get older cause they get big!!

To give you an example, in my non drilled 180g I have an FX5, Marineland C360 and 2 Emperor 400's HOBs. I have about 20 fish in my Male Hap/Peacock tank.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have a 125 and it does fine with a single FX5. I have about 45 fish (2-4.5").

However, the Rena XP4 says 450GPH.. assuming that's without media.

That's only about half the no-media rating of the FX5 of 960GPH (600GPH w/media).

You may need one more.. or use it, put in a power head to get the detrius moving.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
tmoore said:
Will I need to add air stones and a air pump to help the oxygen exchange?
Air stone's contributions to oxygen exchange are over-stated. The bubbles aren't adding oxygen to the water, rather their interaction with the surface does.

An HOB, sump or canister (with a jet disrupting the surface) will all get you enough oxygen exchange.

However, if you like air stones, go ahead and add one!

kevin

·
Registered
11 Posts
For those who are saying needing more than the Rena 4, how often are you doing water changes? Do you have more filtration so you don't have to do water changes as often? Please clarify.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Filtration is over-rated. So long as you have water movement and enough surface area to colonize enough nitrifying bacteria to neutralize the ammonia being produced in the tank you're good. :thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
RRasco has the best answer! Remember the breeders we go to have sponge filters with a big HOB filter on their Front tanks and have had no issues. You could add a couple sponge filters to the Rena and have more water surface movement with that and more beneficial bacteria working. Hide them with Rock work. Do weekly water changes and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Another way of saying it:

Once you reach the point where you have enough bacteria to cycle all ammonia and nitrite, the amount of filtration has nothing to do with frequency (or amount) of water changes.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
My 135 gallon adult frontosa tank has two Aqua Clear 110s running. This tank is at work and as I am not there weekends I don't want to chance a filter quiting while I am away, and then have no filtration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts