Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 75 gallon stocked with a male cobalt zebra (tank boss), red zebras, cobues (2 males, 4 females), yellow tail acei, yellow labs, and SRT Hongi's. There's a juvenile demasoni at a nearby store that's about 1.5inches long. The majority of my fish are 2"+ although a couple Hongi's are at the 1.5"inch mark. I know demasoni need to be kept in large groups to prevent extreme aggression between one another but I was wondering if anyone had experience keeping a single demasoni with other Mbuna? My biggest concern is that the cobalt zebra does have faint vertical bars and the Cobue is blue/orange with vertical bars as well. Would that be something I should avoid or is it worth the trial and error because I do like the looks of demasoni but don't have room for a large group of them. My tank is fairly peaceful at this point, aside from the occasional clash everyone gets along well.

·
Super Moderator
40,540 Posts
I think your stock already has some trouble aspects...I would not add yet another species even if it is a single fish. Definitely don't save fry.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are the issues with my current stock? I don't plan on selling or saving fry, nothing will leave the tank. Male to female ratios are 1/2 males to 4-6 females for each species. Not being confrontational, just curious.

·
Super Moderator
40,540 Posts
For many species one male/species/tank works best. Think in terms of 4 species for a 75G with 1m:4f of each.

You have more than 4 species. And Metriaclima (cobalt and red zebra) can crossbreed but also fight. Red zebras crossbreed with yellow labs. Finally two blue barred species already in the tank may crossbreed or fight or just fail to color up to maximum potential.

If everything is fine for now, don't worry about it. If problems develop, you can address them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.