Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 15 gallon tank that is in the process of cycling and would like to keep a cichlid. Since this tank is in my room, I would like more of a "pet" fish and would also like to avoid breeding. I was thinking about a tank with either a single convict, firemouth, or some other cichlid. I am fortunate enough to have 2 excellent LFS nearby that has a large variety of cichlids, so I will look into any suggestions, however I would like something hardy and not too expensive. Also, would I be able to keep any other fish with my cichlid? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
You have more options with SA dwarf species.

For CA, a single Con, HRP, Cutteri, Sajica would work.

...Bill

I have some 2" HRP for sale that would work. Here is a pic the father I took today. HRP stay smaller than Cons.

....Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MonteSS said:
You have more options with SA dwarf species.

For CA, a single Con, HRP, Cutteri, Sajica would work.

...Bill

I have some 2" HRP for sale that would work. Here is a pic the father I took today. HRP stay smaller than Cons.

....Bill
Wow! I have never seen that fish before! Does HRP stand for Honduran Red Point (forgive me if I'm way off). That is a beautiful fish! Congratulations on a successful spawn!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Yes. Honduran Red Point. The father is a purebred Rio Danli (red fins) and the mom is a standard powder blue LFS HRP.

The babies should have red fins like dad. Some are coloring up already.

....Bill

·
Registered
206 Posts
Bill , a LFS got quiet a few HRP babies ( 2 inchers ) , they are a turq / blue color . What would one look for in looking for pure HRP ? or is it about knowing the history of the generation of that fish ?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
If you dont know the collection point you never know. But even not totaly "pure" fish can be beautiful and great tankmates.

The HRP male in the pic is paired up with a female Con. Their babies are real nice with red fins, but are obvious hybrids that I dont sell.

I think any of these "Con-like" fish would be fine in a 15 and each is pretty in their own way.

....Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts