Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question with regards to my test kit. When I am testing my Nitrates, and hold the test tube up to the color chart, do you hold the test tube "against" the white background of the card? or do hold the test tube just "in front" of the white background of the card?

Beleive it or not, there is a big color difference. Im trying to figure out if my Nitrates are at a level of 20 or 60?

Told ya it is a simple/stupid question....... :eek:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I absolutely understand your question. It does look different. Your question is not simple/stupid at all. :)

I hold mine about 1/2" from the white part of the card above the colors to compare.
This way light can come into the test tube from all around and show the color of the liquid inside.

Be consistant, try to do your testing in the same place, under the same lighting,
holding the color card the same distance from the test tube every time.

If the color is between colors, like not 10 but not quite 20, then to me, it's 15, if you get my drift. :wink:

HTH

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The only dumb question is the one not asked. :D I hold mine against the white backround so I can compare the colors to determine which its closest to. Holding it over the color chart seems to distort all of the colors making it difficult to determine the results.

·
Registered
769 Posts
:wink: Not stupid at all!! Stupid is not asking. Agree w/ above. Consistancy is key. 'T'

1 - 4 of 4 Posts