Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been awhile since I've kept mbuna (or anything other than larger carnivores at all actually), so forgive the simplicity of my question.

How much and how often should I be feeding my mbuna community (rusties, labs, acei, dems, hara, etc)?

I'm basically thinking in the following terms:
Feed X times per day as much as your fish can consume in Y amount of time.

Are there guidelines like this that most use? What about fasting days?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Once to twice a day, 30 seconds to a minute or two max.
Varied diet and a day off per week is a good idea. No high protein foods such as bloodworm, beefheart ect. I feed brine once every couple of weeks.

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
I do 1X daily as much as they can eat for 30 seconds or before the sinking pellets (New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formua) hit the substrate. And I fast 1 day/week.

I do not vary their diet as I have not found an alternative that is an improvement on the NLS.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DJRansome said:
I do 1X daily as much as they can eat for 30 seconds or before the sinking pellets (New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formua) hit the substrate. And I fast 1 day/week.

I do not vary their diet as I have not found an alternative that is an improvement on the NLS.
I am planning on using NLS Cichlid Formula as well, so I really appreciate this part of your reply. As good of reviews as I've read, I was still considering adding in some Dainichi Veggie FX and possibly a quality flake food as well. Is there really no point in varying their diet (between brands/types) as NLS does this already?

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
Can't hurt...may not help. The other types of variations like blood worms or even veggies have their challenges.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts