Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Glass was not cut to perfection .. the way I wanted it .. so had to use 2mm tile spacer instead of 3mm (it is a task carry 12mm glass to the grinder to fine tune edges. Bit of silicon wasted and unpleasant build experience. Fine end result with a bit of forearm soreness. So much diff using 2mm VS 3mm gaps!
Purple Textile Wood Rectangle Pink
Petal Cuisine Chemical compound Electric blue Wood
Purple Textile Wood Interior design Decoration
Property Rectangle Purple Wood Pink
Wood Gas Tints and shades Rectangle Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Wood Gas Tints and shades Auto part

·
Registered
242 Posts
Looks great! Would be interested to hear any other details, methods, your past experience with tank builds etc.

I’m always hoping for tank build threads around here!

·
2,106 Posts
Nice job - when building a glass tank like that, do you do all the silicone work at once (between glass & interior seals) or do you first do the between glass, and come back later for the rest? Interesting clamp modification as well.

Reactions: Rockfella

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Nice job - when building a glass tank like that, do you do all the silicone work at once (between glass & interior seals) or do you first do the between glass, and come back later for the rest? Interesting clamp modification as well.
I usually do it all together.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks great! Would be interested to hear any other details, methods, your past experience with tank builds etc.

I’m always hoping for tank build threads around here!
I'll share the good the bad and the ugly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
IMO getting rid of cured silicon using mineral oil/acetone/alcohol is a waste of time. Elbow grease with sharp blades do work. This was august this year. I underestimated a small SUMP build and forgot to use masking tapes in some panes. This and only this worked flawlessly for me.
Plant Tree Tints and shades Circle Wood
Wood Floor Flooring Rectangle Hardwood
Gesture Wood Gas Glass Composite material

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IN this build I did not like very close cut seam. After 12 hours I used new masking tape and applied more.
Pics.
Did not like this:
Automotive tire Wood Gas Tints and shades Auto part

This looks better to me with added safety. The "ADA" style neat seams did not look good in real lol.
Wood Automotive tire Gas Rectangle Tints and shades

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Corner braces done today. Extra silicon will be sliced off with a new blade after 48 hours.
Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Triangle Vehicle door
Wood Purple Interior design Rectangle Pink
Rectangle Wood Gas Composite material Automotive exterior
Table Rectangle Wood Countertop Automotive exterior
Countertop Table Rectangle Grey Wood

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another great advantage of using injection method is dismantling the tank is very easy since the panes don't touch each other and in fact are 2/3mm apart in the joints .. makes it very easy to cut through it. Just did this to make it smaller for a different tank.

Fixture Window Gas Tints and shades Glass
World Textile Art Wood Flooring
Road surface Grey Wood Flooring Twig
Textile Toy Interior design Comfort Floor

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most important brace done.
Rectangle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Red
Rectangle Wood Flooring Floor Bumper
Wood Flooring Pink Rectangle Floor
Wood Rectangle Publication Tints and shades Magenta
Rectangle Wood Stairs Flooring Floor
Bumper Rectangle Red Material property Automotive exterior
Bumper Rectangle Red Material property Automotive exterior
Wood Flooring Rectangle Font Chair

·
2,106 Posts
Is there a reason for the braces to be above the rim, rather than recessed into the rim? It makes sense all are done the same way, but for some reason, I expected them to be flush with the top of the rim.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is there a reason for the braces to be above the rim, rather than recessed into the rim? It makes sense all are done the same way, but for some reason, I expected them to be flush with the top of the rim.
I know braces inside looks better but is hard to silicon/glass cutting gets complicated. Since the corners are on top I put this on top too. Seams look clean + more room for water volume. I will make a wooden canopy so aesthetics don't matter on the top for me anyway. I plan to fill it leaving 1cm on the top. I have seen tanks 36"x24"x24" made with 10mm glass with no braces at all but I can't imagine keeping a tank like that in my house.
As per this guide tank this size has safety factor of 5 (since they have not mentioned bracing I am assuming their calculation is for braceless tanks, I might be wrong though)

Aquarium Glass Thickness Calculator (easycalculation.com)
Brown Product Rectangle Font Material property

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Another great advantage of injection method : It is easy to cut through 2/3mm silicon as te glass panes don't touch each other.

Glass from old SUMP cleaned to the bone with buffing pad:

Water Water resources Liquid Rectangle Shade

Pink Wood Red Magenta Event

Overhead Sump just glued.
Fixture Window Gas Tints and shades Glass

My bad the pics are not in order.

·
2,106 Posts
Nice! Thanks for the explanation, and yes, a canopy makes the decision moot.

Reactions: Rockfella

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
What is the buffing pad (does it go on a drill or a grinder) and do you use some type of compound with it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Nice! Thanks for the explanation, and yes, a canopy makes the decision moot.
In the works sir. I like lids. I have a top mounted filter / sump so it's a must have for me.
Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Gas
Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor Wood stain

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What is the buffing pad (does it go on a drill or a grinder) and do you use some type of compound with it?
The one I have goes in a drilling machine and is a lot harder to use. The grinder attachment is way easier. I used finishing glass polish this time. Nothing when I used it for the first time. Push it hard on the glass for it to work. Glass can get warm ... Even hot. Only then it seems to work. But works great for sure.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
The one I have goes in a drilling machine and is a lot harder to use. The grinder attachment is way easier. I used finishing glass polish this time. Nothing when I used it for the first time. Push it hard on the glass for it to work. Glass can get warm ... Even hot. Only then it seems to work. But works great for sure.
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like something I might have to try on my glass tops. (y)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts