Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to setup a 55g so that I can look through it from the entryway into the living room. The only part of the tank that would be against any type of wall would be the end. Has anyone else done this?
I'd REALLY like to see some pictures of your filter setup on the end of the tank. I'm trying to figure out how not to make it an eyesore. Thanks in advance :fish:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a side mounted filter on a small tank my father made over forty years ago.
It is two feet long and only about ten inches wide and twelve inches deep.
I will post a picture this evening.
The top with a light, my father made for this tank will not work with the filter this way.
The tank has much evaporation with out a top which seems the only problem.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
A nice way to make that set-up look tidy is to use canister filters instead of a HOB. The end against the wall only gives you about a foot of tank edge to hang HOBs. You could put two mid/small cans in the stand and route your plumbing up and over the side edge to wherever you want inside the tank--ie you could have much more control over water movement ==cleaner tank.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have a 90 with three canisters and a fluidized bed that are conected/hand off one side. For a 55 a pair of nice canisters (2 xp3, 2 marineland C360s, 2 eheim 2217s etc.) would work really well and be less of an eyesore than an HOB.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm working on putting in a room divider tank as well. As soon as the weather warms up enough to cure glue in the garage over night I'll get started. My plan is to build some cabinetry around the tank with HOB filters on either end. I think it will work out okay. The ends of the tank will be painted black so you won't see more than the intake of the filter from inside the tank, the HOB will be concealed by the cabinetry.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
When you are ready, be sure to post a journal and pics of your project, kornphlake.
It sounds like another interesting one. :popcorn:

·
Registered
719 Posts
i beleive this pic is when i fist got the tank and had it set-up upstairs on a ledge that looked over the step going down... i wanted to be able to look thru the tank also, so i had to put my Mag350 on the side... at the time, my sump was not set-up yet, so my heater was in there... not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but it might help...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Don't know if this will help, but nonetheless it is a filter on the side of the tank:

http://www.rickysinger.com/58g_inwall_tank.htm

It's an overflow that I had made on the outside of the tank. What would be the normal left side of the tank itself had overflow grooves cut into it...as well as mid and lower intake holes. The overflow box itself was than attached to the outside of that. This let me build the tank as long as I could make it based on the available wall space without sacrificing any space in the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts