Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that one of my smaller Dem's was looking a little bloated but was still eating and being very active. So I went ahead and dosed 2 teaspoons of Epsom salt per 5 gallons. After doing this I noticed that my fish are flashing more then I ever noticed before. Is this a normal side effect of the salt being added causing some sort of irritation? They were not doing this before the addition of salt.

Water Parameters are:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate about 20

Didn't check PH cause it is usually rock steady right at 8.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yeah the osmotic pressure change is causing irritation.

It could be your dem just over ate. Skip a feeding or two.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dotbomb said:
Yeah the osmotic pressure change is causing irritation.

It could be your dem just over ate. Skip a feeding or two.
Thats what I kind of was thinking. Woke up today and was told by our 8 year old, dont worry I fed the fish today already. :roll: I dont mind him doing it but like it when I am around. He has a slight tendency to overfeed to say the least.

At least I am not freaking out and jumping to the Med tote right away like I would have when first starting!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more question. After treating with epsom do I need to do a WC to remove some of it afterwards or just continue along with my normal WC schedule?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'd probably do a WC as soon as I was convinced the fish was fine.

The first time I had a fish gorge himself I treated him with clout =D> You get so paranoid about bloat from everyone's horror stories it is hard not to get caught up in it.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dotbomb said:
The first time I had a fish gorge himself I treated him with clout =D> You get so paranoid about bloat from everyone's horror stories it is hard not to get caught up in it.
Exactly, especially when you have luck (or the lack there of) like mine. Rumor has it they were gonna rename "Murphy's Law" xxBenJamminxx's Law not that long ago!! :D

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Agreed- flashing would be expected at that dosage. I typically recommend Epsom at half that rate when used as a laxative. Once you are convinced that the fish is fine, go ahead and remove the salt with a series of large water changes- something like 50% three weeks in a row. You want to avoid the backlash of lowering the total dissolved solids too quickly.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
triscuit said:
Agreed- flashing would be expected at that dosage. I typically recommend Epsom at half that rate when used as a laxative. Once you are convinced that the fish is fine, go ahead and remove the salt with a series of large water changes- something like 50% three weeks in a row. You want to avoid the backlash of lowering the total dissolved solids too quickly.
May I ask what the backlash would be if I were to lower the total dissolved solids too quickly?
(Not that I am going to, but just am curious what happens)

Thanks in advance Ben

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
About the same as what you saw by raising them too quickly, although the rebound effect may be worse on the fish since they are already stressed a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts