Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was away visiting family for the weekend and when I returned yesterday, I noticed that one of my syno's was swimming up around the filter return area of the tank, doing some loops. I didn't think much about it and went to bed. When I got up this morning and checked the tank, the same syno's swimming behavior was much weirder. He was now swimming all over the tank, upside down, in barrel rolls, in loop-de-loops, crashing into stuff, etc. I checked the water parameters and ammonia was 0, nitrites were 0 and nitrates were somewhat high, but not too bad. I did a 50% water change anyway, just to be on the safe side.

The 2 other syno's were acting fine, as were the mbuna, pleco and upside down cat.

The area around the syno's right eye is white, but not puffy or fuzzy.

I setup a 20 gal hospital tank and moved the sick syno to it about 20 minutes ago. I gave him a dose of melafix in case that is a bacterial or fungal growth on his eye.

Anyone have any idea what is wrong with this cat? His swiming is very active and he doesn't appear to be lethargic. He is just swimming in weird ways that he never has. Normally, he is not active during the day too much and I have never seen him swimming upside down or in loops like this... Help! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
What were the nitrates before and after the change? I have one syno that reacts first to questionable water quality and it does take a couple days for him to get back to normal once the water parameters are good again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using the API test kit (liquids) not test strips...

Pre-water change: Nitrates between 20 and 40 ppm

Post-water change: Nitrates 10 ppm

hospital tank: uncycled, nitrates 0 ppm

Hopefully he is just the canary in the tank and will be fine. After looking at his eye again, it looks like it is just an abrasion from hitting something in the tank. Melafix should clear that up in a few days.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Those readings should be OK. Maybe the scratch on his eye was just bothering him. I would not be concerned about swimming upside down, but the loops...maybe just his way of saying ow, ow, ow. :thumb:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I checked him this morning before I left for work and he was back to doing backflips non-stop in the hospital tank. The more I thought about it last night, the more I don't think his condition is due to water parameters, because the person I had adopted him and his tankmates from had kept the tank downright disgusting... so dirty that I am amazed the fish were even alive.... If they could have lived and grown to the size they are in that cesspool, the slightly elevated nitrates in my tank are not going to bother them.

I stopped at one of my LFS on the way home from work and spoke with one of the guys there. After I described the symptoms, he thought it sounded like a swim bladder issue and suggested I treat the syno with nitrofuracin green.

I got home from work and the syno was still doing backflips and spirals. I treated him and I'm hoping this does the trick before the poor guy dies from exhaustion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts