Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

In my 20G long I have 6 Ocellatus (blue) and pair of Comp.
One of my Ocellatus recently (2-4 weeks ago) developed enlarged belly.
Fish is breathing irregular, can swim (not allot) but eats well. Looks like belly is pulling fish down.
For past 3-4 days he (maybe she) always rest on the top or rock decoration, fish became very passive.

Any idea what this maybe?

Tank specs:
Temp - 79F
pH - 7.6
NH3 - 0

20% WC weekly

Just in case I have Seachem Metronidazole in the mail ... not sure when it's coming in.
PS I have seen him poop...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
maybe bloat. I would post this in illness/health and nutrition. you will get a better response

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Stop feeding, do a 50% water change, and add epsom salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. So, for your tank, add 1/4 cup of Epsom). Epsom can be found at any pharmacy store or Walmart, and should be dissolved in a cup of warm water prior to adding.

This looks like a bowel obstruction to me, but you say you've seen poop? Since he's bloated?

Metro is good to have on hand, but let's wait to see if the fasting/Epsom works first.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for reply.

I can do this treatment without separating fish, correct?
Also, for how long should I keep the diet going?

Yes, fish pooped yesterday morning, during a feeding time.

Off to the SuperMarket to get Epsom salt.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Does his body straighten?

Do you know if the fish is male or female? It sounds like it's not a bowel obstruction, but I also don't think we're looking at an egg-bound female. The third common reason for bloating is infection, which Epsom salt can also help with.

I recommend not feeding until we see a change in the fish. Three days is a good place to start, and your fish won't be harmed by going a week without food. (Except for young fry- they must have food more frequently.)

And yes- add the Epsom (and later Metro, if needed) to the whole tank. If it's an infection, the other fish have been exposed- best to treat them all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fish is gone :(

I stopped feeding them on Sunday evening.
And I added Epsom salt on Tuesday.
By Wednesday belly looked a little better, but still noticeably big, scales was not as pointy.
This morning I checked them, and fish was more or less "active", looking for food ... Swimming towards surface and then down ... But after 2-3 min of swimming, she (yes looks like that fish was female, dorsal fin had lighter color band on the top) was resting on the rock (see picture above)
And today around 8PM I found her dead.

I guess this was a bloat, and I start treatment very late ...

Do you know what may cause this infections?
I do WC and feed them NLS only.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Sorry for your loss :(

Reasons for illness include stress, poor water quality, and introduction of new fish. And sometimes, it still happens when we do everything right.

Right now, I would focus on making sure your tank is pristine. If this was an infection, you want to make sure the other fish don't become ill. Their immune systems can fight off bugs better in clean water. I also recommend keeping up the epsom for two weeks. (Just add back 1 tbs for five gallons of new water).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts