Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7-year-old, 9", beautiful, frontosa in a 60-gallon tank with a 120pg filter. I used to have three other cichlids in there, but they died due to some bacterial infection. I quarantined all of them at first sign of being sick, yet my big guy got sick also. He has some stuff in his mouth on the inside, his eye was bulging (but is better now) and he isn't eating. I have tried Metro + (Health Aid) and KanaPlex together for a week with 20% water changes. I am now putting herbal expellants in the tank as I think it is less harsh since he is so sick (Microe-Lift, Artemiss, and Herbtana). I also have aquarium salt in the tank. It has been three weeks now since the first sign of infection. I haven't seen him eat. His eye is better now, but he still has the stuff in his mouth (it is only on the inside, and looks to be lining his lips but not covering his entire mouth). Every once in a while he has little white spots on his head (maybe ick?), but they go away in about a day or two. The carbon has been out of the filter since I started the treatments. He looks better, but I don't think he is eating still. I need help. I just checked my water and all levels seem to be good. PH is at 8, Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, and nitrate is 0. The sand is African substrate and there are natural rocks in the tank with a decor unit that has been in his tank since the beginning (I took all the plants and wood out).

Additional note: he now gets sand stuck on his skin. It eventually falls off after about an hour. I have no idea how he gets it on his head. I don't know if this is part of the issue, but it's never happened before. See picture attached.

Is it possible he is better but just lonely? He has never been in a tank alone before. How will I know when I can add fish/or he is better? Will the stuff in his mouth disappear? Please help!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't know if this has to do with it, but there is usually a collection of white, almost spider web-like, substance on the rocks. I didn't know if that was from the sand or not. (The sand and rocks have been in the tank about three months.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts