Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm watching a large aquarium while the owners are away for a month. They inherited the tank and fish and aren't pros so just asked me to add water to the filter system and feed the fish. There are 8 different fish. I don't know what they are but I think half of them are jack Dempsey's (from Google research). Anyway, one has been laying on the bottom for 2 days now breathing heavily and not coming up to eat. (Though the last time I fed them it started flailing around like it wanted to come up) I feel bad for it but I don't know what I can do. All the other fish are fine. I tried getting it to come up for food with a net but it was too scared to eat so I figured I better not stress it out anymore. I also tried to give it peas but the other fish kept snapping them up before the sick one could see it. Now one of the seemingly healthy fish of the same breed is chasing the other fish and head butting the sick one. My husband thinks maybe it's trying to assert dominance since the other bigger one is dying. Is there anything simple I can try to do to help the sick fish? is it just it's time? I can't do anything drastic because I have no supplies and I don't think the owners want me to spend money on it since they just inherited this aquarium and it is already a lot of work for them. I included some pictures. In one image you can see the one fish is bothering the sick one in the bottom left corner.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
It would be ideal if you could isolate the fish...at least keep the others from attacking him. Can you find a net?

Then try to see if there is a net box in the stand that you can hook over the rim with the net box inside the water.

IDK what that plastic box is on the floor.

Anyway if you can net him and put him in the breeder box (the net box) it might help and it can't hurt.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts