Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very ill African Peacock. He is a hybrid. A friend had some peacocks and they had babies and he gave him to me along with some others.

Anyway, I had him in a 45 gallon tank. I put a few smaller fish into the tank with him. He was the top fish till this weekend when I noticed he was hanging out in the top corner of the tank.

On monday, he was barely able to swim. Instead of his body being east west when he swam, he was almost north south. Like someone doing a doggy crawl. I saw one of the other fish take a pop at him and I immediately moved him and the other fish out of the tank.

My peacock, then proceeded to sit on the bottom of the tank on his back, belly up. I took some pictures and the guy at the fish store told me he thought that my fish had suffered some internal injuries due to fighting. There were no discernible physical injuries otherwise.
One of his eyes was cloudy and almost popping out. Also, my peacock seemed to be losing his fins. And he had red blotches by his tail fins and his gill fins. The guy at the store thought that the physical injuries sustained had allowed infection to rear its ugly head.
I was told that I should try to keep the tank dark, put the heat upto 81-82 and put as much oxygen into the tank as I could. Aslo, to give him a treatement of Maracyn-Two.

He proceeded to rest either on his side or on his belly, which I do consider an improvement over belly up. And when I went back into get the pleco out that I forgot about, he moved quite well all things considered. At the time, I thought the pleco might have been responsible for his fin loss.

Last night, I asked the guy at the store about anything else I could do. He said other treatement might cause a dangerous reaction with the current treatement.
I asked about adding Aquarium salt and he said that would be fine. I'm beginning to wonder if that was a good idea or not now. I thought it might help him.

The peacock has lost his tail fins and as of writing, I could not see his gill fins. Which would suggest to me he has had it.
He is however, breathing quite well. Its rythmic as opposed to strained. At least as far as I can tell.
The red splotches at the end of his tail and by his gill fins seem to have gone.
On the bad side, I checked on him last night and he hasn't moved. He is still on his side.

I think that the end is near, but I really don't want to give up on him. I'm actually suprised that he has lasted this long. Its been almost 72 hours that he has been like this. And that gives me some hope he might make it. But it kills me to see him like this.

Is there anything else I can do?

I did a water change about seven days ago. I use the test kits for the tank and all are within normal parameters. I have a neutral Ph level according to the test kit. The ammonia test strip is also very low.

Should I increase the temperature? Should I put more oxygen strips into the tank?
Should I keep him in the dark? I covered the tank with a blanket. He seems to prefer the dark.
Last time I turned the light on, he moved into the darkness. But isn't it bad for them to have no light for such a long amount of time?

Is there any other kind of medecine or treatment I can use?

I would post a pick but i'm not sure how to do it here. I have a video clip of him.

I actually have to go out of town tonight, but I will be picking up more Maracyn-two on the way out. I'll be back late tonight. Hopefully he will still be alive.
I also bought another air pump and air wand that I will run into the tank.
Hopefully that will help.

Anyway, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I think it probably too late now, but if my peacock isn't giving up, then neither will I.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When I put another air stone in the tank my peacock had moved. His gill fins are there, so scratch me saying they were gone. And the red blotches by his tail fin and gill fins have definetly gone.

Unfortunately, he is on his back again.

Anyway, I raised the heat just a little and put anther air stone in the tank. And I have covered up the tank with a blanket.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not sure whats wrong with him but it wouldn't hurt to do a water change and retest levels. Cichlids like higher PH also. Your ammonia should be zero or very close to zero. Is your tank cycled?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tank is cycled. He has been living in it for the best part of a year.
I did a water change a few days before he got hurt.

I rarely use Aquariaum salt, and I didn't have any in the tank.
Would adding this whilst trying he is sick help or hurt him?

Can you add too much Aquarium salt?

To show pictures etc, should I go to file shack, then add a link here?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
You can upload pictures here then paste the Message Board link in your reply.
I wouldn't add Salt as it can impact the effectiveness of Maracyn.
There are a number of different ailments that the fish could be suffering from. What else was in the tank with him? Was he doing any scratching against rocks/substrate prior to lying on the sand?
Since you're treating with Maracyn 2, if you can, get Maracyn 1 and add it to the treatment.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I use photobucket for pics. works well and is easy to link pics.
The opinions on aquarium salts are mixed but I've found most people will agree that it doesn't hurt and may help sick fish. You can over salt. but if you haven't added salt to date as long as you add a Tsp per 5gal you'd be ok.
You should be doing a 20-30% water change weekly and more frequently if you have a sick or injured fish

1 - 6 of 6 Posts