Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple days ago, i made my daily fish count when one of my Venustus was paper white half on the bottom of the tank. I checked my levels and did a water change. Now, my alfa male Cynatalpia afra is showing strange symptoms. No appetite, very pale mouth and body, he stays at the bottom and doesnt move much, when he does move he is disoriented, runs into stuff, and a few spolotchy scales, almost like he missing some here and there and i can see his skin. I do a water change every 3 weeks and havent added any new fish in about 3 months. What is wrong? Help! Here are some tank details.

4 Afras, (3 female 1 male), 4 acei, 2 venustus (one dead), 3 labs, 4 socolofi

55 gallow tank with sand rocks and 2x 350 biowheels.

Nitrate- 20 mg/L, Nitrite- .2 mg/L, GH- 250 Hard, KH 200, PH 8.4

Paul

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Do more water changes....1 a week of atleast 25%

Are you over feeding them.....If you feed them for more then 2 minutes in total a day then you are probably over feeding them which can result it bloat.

What diet are they on....Seems both the fish that have fallen ill have both been carnivores so maybe you're feeding them inapropriately.

Don't puy more food in the tank to try to persued the sick fish to eat, the only fish that will eat are the ones that already have a full stomach, the only outcome will be the healthy ones falling ill too.

As for helping the sick fish someone might be able to help keep him alive, i'm only good with the prevention. But if you have a hospital tank i would move him now otherwise the others will take advantage and kill him..

·
Registered
52 Posts
paulmonroe said:
Nitrate- 20 mg/L, Nitrite- .2 mg/L, GH- 250 Hard, KH 200, PH 8.4
Your nitrites should be zero. How have you been maintaining you filter? I'd recommend doing 33% water change for then next few days.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Did you check the temperature???
If they are gasping maybe you have a O2 problem??

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What is your ammonia reading?

How long has this tank been set up?

From your nitrite reading alone, you've got some water quality problems. I agree that 3 weeks is too long between water changes.

I would start doing frequent water changes of 25-30% with a good dechlorinator for the next few days, until those nitrites are zero. Once you get the tank settled, you'll need to do your water changes more often.

Are you cleaning and churning the substrate now and then to prevent bacterial pockets from building up? Have you recently disturbed the substrate and released some of these bacterial pockets?

Kim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.