Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry this is kind of a double post, but I'm new and didn't realize this section was here. Anyway, we have a very small(about half an inch) convict in a 30 gallon tank all alone. It has been alone since it entered the tank. About three days ago it began to hide which is very unlike this fish. It has been eating, but less than normal. Today we noticed it's left side fin was being held right up against it's body and it was not using it to swim. It normally swims rather smoothly unless fighting the current, however beginning today it is darting around very strangely. Any help on what this is or how to treat this would be great. By the way ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites are all reading zero, ph is 7.9,and temp is 80.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
What's in the tank as far as rocks, decorations? Anything to injure himself on if spooked?
What's your water change schedule like? What are you feeding and how much/schedule?
How long has the tank been set up and how long has the fish been in this tank?
If you can, get a top down view of the fish to more easily determine if there's any abnormal swelling.
Have you witnessed any bowel movements recently? Spend some time watching for one.
You should be getting a nitrate reading of some kind, what are you using to test? Re-test.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank has a castle that he can go in and could have possibly hurt himself on. The water is changed once a week (25 percent). I'm not getting a nitrate reading still after a retest I'm guessing because the water was just changed about 24 hours ago. I use the API liquid master test kit. He has been in the tank for about three weeks and the tank has been set up since January. I haven't seen any bowl movements that seem abnormal, but admittedly I havnt seen many. I won't be able to get a picture tonight, but comparatively it doesnt seem like there is any swelling. He gets fed once a day, roughly 6 crushed baby cichlids pellets.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.