Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a convict which since laying eggs has remained on the bottom of the tank, advice has suggested that she may have damaged her swim bladder during the breeding process.

I removed my filter media and treated the tank with both anti bacterial and swim bladder treatments. I have also conducted water changes and have monitored the levels, no other fish are showing signs of simular condition and her male patner is fine..

She does not seem to be improving, she will swim to change position from time to time and swim to feed, there is some white deposites around the base of her fins and she seems to gasp. the convict has been like this for months now.

has anyone any sound advice.......

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Hi

If the swim bladder is injured there's not a lot you can do other than wait and see. Since they can sometimes be caused by a bacterial infection you're wise to treat with an antibacterial. If it didn't work then you might want to try switching to a different med. Different bacterias respond to different meds.

I would try fasting her for a 2-3 days and add Epsom salt to the water at a rate of 1 tablespoon per five gallons. Dissolve it first and add it gradually.

Does she seem to be choosing to sit on the bottom or is it more a case where she has to work really really hard to swim up off the bottom and as soon as she stops trying she sinks?

Robin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts