Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tropheus Dubs are pretty shy. Is this normal for them and over time they will become more used to seeing me?

As I walk up to the tank they run and hide, then slowly come out and to the front of the tank, and if I make a slight movement, like going to scratch my face....boom, they're gona again lol and then slowly come back out.

Is this something everyone has dealt with, mind you I have had them only a couple weeks so I guess it takes them time to adjust?

The tank is in my office, so away from children, just mostly myself, if that helps.

So anyone care to share their experiences on this for me please...Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just the opposite for me. From the moment I got mine I can't do anything near the tank without them swimming quickly to where I am. If I sit perfectly still they will go back to doing normal stuff but if I blink...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys,

They are about 8 months old, and between 2.5-3.5" and 16 of them, most of them are at the bigger end of the size.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are fed spirulina flake and sera granugreen, don't know what brand the flakes are, as im using the same stuff that I got from the guy I bought my dubs from.

I had an issue with nitrites recently, so reduced their feeding to very little, and now they seem to be fine. I feed them upto 3-4 times daily, very light feedings. Their not as shy now, they seem to be doing well.

I think it is a matter of time and also how much feeding they get. When starting off with little, they are more interested in greeting lol as they want food, and then they get used to you more and more as you feed them, I think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi any drop in water quailty trop do notice it and it does affect them and ammiona is another one i was feeding mine 4 times daily and i changed my schedule to 2 time aday and i do 2 water changes a week 10-15 on a tue and about the same again on sat and they used to never greet me when i come to the tank but since i changed all they seem to like me as they think its food time hop this helps and good look :wink:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi cichlidguy, they sure are sensitive little things lol they make me laugh, they're a bunch of characters. *** got the same routine as you, twice weekly water changes. I think they have their days, they're still getting used to me, its funny, cos when im on one side of the tank, they run away, and then when im on the other, where i feed them , they cant wait and are all up in my face :p (i have a peninsula style tank)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts