Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 12 fronts in a 110g tank, they're about 4-5" in size. I've had them since they were fry (1.5years) I eventually plan to remove about 6 of them and be left with 2 males and 4 females due to the tank size. (60L x 18w x 24h) Or maybe 1male 3 females.

They've been pretty shy their whole lives and pretty much never even the slightest bit eager to eat. I started them out on NLS growth, then went to NLS cichlid 1mm, and now at 3mm and have never been eager. Even when I've put a few frozen cubesd in the tank (Frozen Brine) they just aren't too excited to eat at all. I've tried to not feed them for 2 days and same issues. Not sure what left to try. I change about 40% water every 10 days. I have a AquaClear 500 + Rena 3 cannister filter on it. I live in toronto so the water is pretty close to lake malawi (my tropheus are thriving and even breeding already at 3.5")

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
try frozen krill (thawed first, of course), dim the lights- if excessive, and consider a darker substrate. HTH.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well, This may sound stupid... but let me tell you about my fronts. All was fine for about 2 years. Then one day my fronts just started to hide, and would not eat. Their color seemed fine, their fins where not clamped against their bodies, the water and and temp was great. I just figured that they wanted or needed something different in their diet. I tried everything from live black worms, fronzen shrimp, different flakes, krill.. you name it .. This went on for about 4 or five days and when I did a water change and reduced the water levels in the tank I could hear and feel a vibration... sure enough on of the filters had something stuck in it... I cleaned the filter and did my water change and with in a couple of hours the fish where back to normal.

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts