Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
41,976 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

What are the dimensions of your tank? What is your stock list? How long have they been in the tank and how did you cycle it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

What are the dimensions of your tank? What is your stock list? How long have they been in the tank and how did you cycle it?
Thanks!!
My dimensions are ( in cm 100x40x50)
I believe that Is 40inches x 16 x 20?? The tank is definitely on the small side but I keep up with water changes very well.
Stocking is.
6 peacocks, 2 males, 4 females.
2 cobalt blues.
2 electric yellows.
2 red forest jewels.
3 white knights

All the fish are between 3-4 inches. And I plan on getting rid of the jewels at some point. Got sold them when I was first setting up the tank. As for them being aggressive I have found that there now worse than other on the other fish at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,131 Posts
If you have a M-F pair of those Hemichromis sp., Red Jewel Cichlids in this tank? You will definitely need to pull them out sooner - than later. If they spawn, you won't like the body count that results from a fry protective pair of those African Riverine Cichlids in your aquarium. :oops:

Reactions: sir_keith

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have a M-F pair of those Hemichromis sp., Red Jewel Cichlids in this tank? You will definitely need to pull them out sooner - than later. If they spawn, you won't like the body count that results from a fry protective pair of those African Riverine Cichlids in your aquarium. :oops:
Yeah true! They are both definitely males tho. Will try getting them out soon!

·
Administrator
41,976 Posts
Too many/wrong fish for your tank size I think. In a 40" tank and choosing from your list I would do a species tank of the yellow labs because they are small and peaceful enough for a tank that is less than 48" long.

If you wanted 1m:4f each of peacocks, fryeri, labs and cobalts, I would keep them in a tank that is 48" long by 18" from front to back at minimum.

Malawi do not pair so if you are keeping more than one/species you want 1m:4f to manage aggression. Keeping them in this type of grouping will help the fish feel comfortable and be out and about more.

The water quality is not the concern with the size/length of the tank, it is aggression. Hiding is a sign, even if you don't witness behavior that looks aggressive. Your fish are afraid.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Too many/wrong fish for your tank size I think. In a 40" tank and choosing from your list I would do a species tank of the yellow labs because they are small and peaceful enough for a tank that is less than 48" long.

If you wanted 1m:4f each of peacocks, fryeri, labs and cobalts, I would keep them in a tank that is 48" long by 18" from front to back at minimum.

Malawi do not pair so if you are keeping more than one/species you want 1m:4f to manage aggression. Keeping them in this type of grouping will help the fish feel comfortable and be out and about more.

The water quality is not the concern with the size/length of the tank, it is aggression. Hiding is a sign, even if you don't witness behavior that looks aggressive. Your fish are afraid.
Hmmm yeah, if I was to do a mbuna tank could I have a few different species. What would be a good stock list for mbunas, I would really like to breed them but love coloured and a display tank. Thanks!

·
Administrator
41,976 Posts
The 40" length really limits you. Single species no matter what. And even then only a handful of Malawi will work. It would really make a better tank for Tanganyikans.

For Malawi mbuna I would do Chindongo saulosi and for peacocks I would do kandeense (I have tried 1m:4f of other peacocks without success) and for haps I would do 1m:4f Lethrinops. I would not do fryeri or cobalts, even as a single species, in a 40" tank.

·
Registered
60x18x24 1700gph argonite crushed mbuna
156 Posts
Skittish fish is usually something spooking them in the room, then something moves outside the tank(you) and its panic mode for the fish, could be a coat hanging up, the light reflecting of a photo, the chairs to close to the tank etc they don't feel safe!
They will settle eventually, as long as its not a water issue..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 40" length really limits you. Single species no matter what. And even then only a handful of Malawi will work. It would really make a better tank for Tanganyikans.

For Malawi mbuna I would do Chindongo saulosi and for peacocks I would do kandeense (I have tried 1m:4f of other peacocks without success) and for haps I would do 1m:4f Lethrinops. I would not do fryeri or cobalts, even as a single species, in a 40" tank.
Yeah, wish I could get a bigger tank, I have space for one but there just so expensive where I live. If I where to do some tanganyikan fish what would be best?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Skittish fish is usually something spooking them in the room, then something moves outside the tank(you) and its panic mode for the fish, could be a coat hanging up, the light reflecting of a photo, the chairs to close to the tank etc they don't feel safe!
They will settle eventually, as long as its not a water issue..
Yeah, thanks man. Shouldn't be a water issue I have tested everyone and do daily tests.

·
Administrator
41,976 Posts
Demasoni are a difficult fish to keep, but it can be done in a 55G. However, because of the 48" length, so can dozens of other mbuna species like the ones you originally wanted to keep.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Demasoni are a difficult fish to keep, but it can be done in a 55G. However, because of the 48" length, so can dozens of other mbuna species like the ones you originally wanted to keep.
Hmm yeah, so you wouldn't recommend I do demosoni, what are some other mbunas I would be able to keep with the yellow labs? Would love to breed some, and I want to stay the mbuna route. Thanks.

·
Administrator
41,976 Posts
In the 55G I would do 1m:4f each of these:
Labidochromis caeruleus yellow labs
Metriaclima callainos cobalt zebras
Cynotilapia zebroides Cobue

If you want to breed them you will need additional cycled tanks for the holding mothers and to raise the fry.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In the 55G I would do 1m:4f each of these:
Labidochromis caeruleus yellow labs
Metriaclima callainos cobalt zebras
Cynotilapia zebroides Cobue

If you want to breed them you will need additional cycled tanks for the holding mothers and to raise the fry.
Yeah, that would be 15 fish total, so if I get rid of all the peacocks and jewels and leave the existing cobalts and yellow labs and get some more of them and the Cynotilapia zebroides. That should be fine for a 55?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts