Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at the LFS the other day and I noticed some really cool shrimp in a small FW tank with some live plants, snails and etc. I think they may have been cherry shrimp? Either way, I was interested in maybe starting a 10 gallon tank with shrimps, crabs, snails etc.

I guess the focal point would be the cool little shrimp. Anyone have any links or other websites to reference that give info on keeping them? This site is really useful for cichlids so I am hoping someone has experience and can point me in the right direction. I’m looking for water requirements, size, diet, tank mates, etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Cherry shrimp are pretty much 'just add water'. Very easy to keep and breed. I started with 30 in a 10 gallon. I added some java moss tied to some mopane wood. That was it. Other than feeding, I left it alone for a few months. Ended up with hundreds, literally. I'd estimate about 800 or so. I feed them crushed pellet food, NLS. I still have them in a few tanks. Some I keep to keep and some I raise as live food. As far as tank mates, lots of fish will see them as food. I've got them with endlers in one tank and neon tetras in another and they do fine. Just keep them with small tankmates and they'll do ok. I've also got them in with my teleogramma brichardi, which are more than big enough to eat them, but too slow to catch them. They're thriving in there. For whatever reason, they're the most gorgeous red in that tank. I've got it loaded with mopane, but not sure if that's the reason. In a bare tank, most stay sort of a clear color. Same diet, same water. The biggest I've seen are a bit over an inch or so.

HTH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts