Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy fellow troph keepers, here is a step by step recipe to homemade Shrimp mix.

First a big thanx to billansor for the recipe.

ALL INGEDIENTS SHOULD BE FRESH AND WASHED SEVERAL TIMES!
I prefer to use organic grown veggies, as they are free of additives. If you can’t get fresh veggies, frozen will do the job out of season.

Ingredients:
1 lb spinach
1 lb mustard greens (I use kale, as mustard greens isn’t available here)
1 whole garlic
1 lb natural peas
1 lb natural green beans
42 oz frozen shrimp
4 to 6 heaping tablespoon of Spirulinia powder
Small can of Paprika

Tools:
Blender
Food processor / veggie shredder
Freezer

Other stuff (you should find in most kitchens):
Large kitchen knife
Long wooden spoon
Large bowel or pot
Soup spoon
Freezer Zip-lock bags or Ice trays

Work time approximately 3 hours incl. cleaning.

Step #1
I removed the shrimp tails quick under cold running water, as I’m going to freeze them again and it’s not safe to freeze shrimps again after they have been defrosted. So back into the freezer with them as soon as possible

Step #2
Wash your veggies, I also was the frozen peas and green beans, getting them ready to use in different bowls. Peal the whole garlic I use Egyptian garlic, the cloves are not covered with skin, so it’s a lot easier to peal then regular garlic.

Step #3
Blend the peas, beans along with a little water, I add ½ cup of water for the peas and ½ cup for the beans give or take. It’s better to use a little too much water then to little, as your blender will heat up and you risk killing it. Chop the spinach with a big kitchen knife and blend it with the garlic and mix in pea and bean puree or make it into puree with a food processor, then mix the whole deal together in the big bowel.

Step #4
Shredding the frozen kale and shrimps, this is why the shrimps were returned to the freezer. The kale have been removed from the stalk, chopped and frozen in small balls, they are not as good as fresh kale but a lot easier to work with. The shrimps need to be frozen solid to be shredded, but it’s a very easy job done.

Step #5
Everything should be blended and mixed together in the large bowel or pot, now you add the paprika and the spirulina. Stir a little, till it’s no longer dusty.

Step #6
Now we are almost done, last before I bagged it all I gave it a last run thru the food processor. Smoothing the kale and shrimp out, mixing the spirulina and paprika well into the whole deal.
Last I pourd the mixture into zip-lock freezer bags, sucked the air out of the bag and flattened it before I put them in the freezer. You can use ice cube trays if you like

Step #7
After 5-6 hours freezing time, give it a feel once in a while as every freezer is different. The bags shouldn’t be solid frozen yet but getting there and you can easily cut the sheets into squares, put them in a zip bag and in to the freezer and the next day it’s ready to feed with.

Good advice – clean up as you go from step to step! Everything is very easy to wipe up and clean up when you spill it, but once it’s dry it sticks like glue.

I have ordered some agar home as gelatin isn’t good for trophs, agar is gelling agent made from red algae and should be okay to feed the fish. With this I hope I will be able to make it into a gel that I can cut in squares and freeze, and that way jump step #7.

Hope someone out there can use this

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@UMphreak
I have not tested the agar myself yet, but I would devide the shrimp mix in portions and test a little. There is most likely a direction on the agar on how much you should use per gallon of liquid, go with half maybe as the shrimp mix is already more or less gooey when done.

I have been feeding my trophs this mix some time now, used a different mix earlyer and this batch have no agar and they still stay in a cube hape in the tank and don't desolve that easy. The fibre from the peas and beans is holding everythig together very nice, but im still gonna try agar too on my next batch.

The tank do get a little cloudy for a hour or so after eating, my overflow is'nt moveing more then 500 gph. So it takes a little time for all the left overs to exit the tank, but on the other hand I have had some fish that did'nt eat well after the trip from africa. They have picked up eating slowly as they pick all the small stuff floating around, rather then "fight" the group for food.

I feed em aprox 3 or 4 1x1" squares for 35 adult trophs 2-3 times a day, still adjusting to figure out if I need to feed more.

4 squares in the morning around 10 am, 3 squares around 4 pm and another 3 or 4 squares around 10 pm.

Let us hear how it turns out and what you think of the mix, several I have talked with who use this recipe claim there spawning have increased and stonger colors in the fish.

So far my W/C Red Rainbows have picked up in colors, still waiting for them to start spawning frequently. I have had them about a month, so I hope it will pick up soon.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im happy others find use of this, yesterday I tryed to make a batch with agar with great success.

I have made a DIY video on timelapse, to cut it down into one video.

Homemade Shrimp Mix with Agar

Same recipe, I just added 45-50 gram of agar to the 9 lb recipe. But as i just made 9 lbs the other week, I only made a 3 lb mix with 16 gram of agar this round.

The agar mix have some serius benefits, the food sink (IMO it's good, the food don't get sucked into the powerheads). It takes alot longer to eat the cube of food, as it's eaten and not spred out in the tank nearly as much as the regula mix.

So it's only 1/3 of the mess - still take in mind it's still gonna cloudy your tank a short while after feeding, so I hope my mechanical filters will stay cleaner for a longer time.

Also i used whole raw shrimps this time around, dunno what kinda shrimps they where tho. I took some with a lot of color as some mentioned there are coloring pigments in the shells the trophs use or something. So I got some funky blue shrimps with bright yellow bands on there legs, have no idea if it will do anything or not, but they where funny enough the cheapest shrimps I could find.

Have any of you guy's tryed the recipe out yet, let me know what you think.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@D-007 I order it from the nearest health food store - Just follow the first hippie vegan chick you see and she will direct you LOL :lol:

It's commonly used by vegans instead of gelatine og there are som asian deserts where it's used too, so a good size asian foodstore should have it too.

If you can't find either near you, you should be able to find it online no problem.

Good luck !

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Be shure it's pure agar from the chemical supliers, here you can get all kinda agar medias thats pre made. PDA for one is popular (potatoe dextrose agar) and there are several others for tissue culture ect. ect. that can contain vitamins, medical chemicals, hormones and other stuff that promotes different things, like plant cells to grow/split and so on.

They are useualy higher priced then pure agar, but just to let everyone know there are different kinda agar mixes for lab use. So you don't end up with something odd, containing hormones for skin cell mutations or antibiotics, we don't wanna feed that stuff to our fish :thumb:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Tokyo good quetion mate, now I can't be 100% as I did not compile the whole thing on my own. I got the recipe from another tropheus keeper and changed it a little.

But id be happy to try to awnser the question anyway :)

From Drug Digest
http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/HerbsW ... ka,00.html

Paprika (scientific name: Capsicum) is an herb used not only in
cooking, but also for its medicinal qualities. It can be taken orally
or applied topically depending upon the desired results. Oral
preparations include capsules, fresh or dried peppers, powder and tea.
Potential uses for paprika include the following:

*colic
*gas
*indigestion
*poor appetite
*cold symptoms
*fever
*headache
*general pain

Paprika, or capsicum, contains a number of active ingredients. The
most useful of these ingredients are known as ?oleoresins.? They are
oily substances that have various effects.
Along with Garlic paprika is a good herbal "medicin" as you can read, so im guessing this is the reasons to add it to the food.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have never seen yellow squash here, they only sell the green once.

Let's hear how it turns out with the yellow enhancing, as I plan on growing most my veggies myself in the garden, im shure I can find the seeds online.

It's nice to see this is helpfull to a lot of people and thanx for all the positive feedback!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
dainiusiva said:
i am very sad to anounce that all my fish are dead because of high temp,so i will not make the shrimp mix
What a bummer, very sorry to hear that. It must be a hard blow, I have never lost cichlids like that myself but it must be absolute horror. I feal bad for the fish when I have lost a single one, but a troph colony is also a big amount of money.

So get a chiller before buying fish again, when you get back on your feet again.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
siklidluvervu said:
my mom uses agar to set her desserts. u can find it relatively cheap from asian grocers. makes great cambodian coconut jello too!
Mmmm coconut jello sounds nice, how are your trophs takeing that :lol:

Sounds really nice with the jello, would like to try that stuff myself and yeah asian grocers should have agar too. Unfortunet where I live there are no asian markets around, so I go to the health food store to get it.

Thanx for the posetive comments everyone, I was working on a new and improved video/recipe, but my GF's computer took a dump on me and all my files where deleted :x
Next time I make a batch of food, I will reshoot the whole thing. I got a food processor and that have really improved the food and make it much easyer to make, so forget the blenders and find a food processor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.